Sidecar refinish

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:41 pm
I recently bought myself an older sidecar to mount on one of my motorcycles, and as I should have expected the job got immensely bigger once I got into things. Overall the thing is in pretty good shape but looks like it has seen some years outdoors. so anyways I am going to repaint the body and frame and I am now contemplating coating the inside and maybe the underbody with spray on boxliner.... Opinions? I really don't need too, but figured its fairly roughly finished on the inside and it might add a bit of strength to the floor, and if I do the underside would make the underbelly more scratch resistant. only real downfall's I see is weight, but It cant be much more than 1000gr or so and how much more of a pain to would be if I ever had to repair it again but? what would you guys do?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:10 am
We use bedliner a lot in building and rebuilding kit cars. I use it on the floors and ramp on my furniture cargo trailers as well. On kit cars it helps to stop stones from flipping up in the fenderwells and "starring" the fiberglass especially on some of the older thinner bodies. On the cargo trailer ramps I increase the amount of rubber crumb additive so we have more grip when walking on the ramp. It's easy to repair if damaged especially if you've got decent texture to it. I'd only use a good 2K bedliner as opposed to the 1k stuff. Bedliner really doesn't add that much more weight and I think it's worth it for the ability to deflect stone hits....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic