Painting clear headlight lenses.

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:20 pm
Hey everyone, i have some projector headlights for an rx7 i need to work on. The headlight's replacement lenses are completely clear. They come with a large portion of the headlight cover painted black to control the light output and cover the silicone adhesive that seals it. I need to know what i can do to prep the clear plastic, and lay down black (base coat maybe?) to allow it to look unstuffed from the outside, and last a long time being beat on in the florida sun.

This is the old vs new covers. The part that is taped on the new cover is the part that obviously will not be painted. Should i scuff the inside and lay base with clear? or will the scratches show up from the outside.

Should i get a special prep spray or a special type of plastic base coat?

I posted in plastic but i noticed its not nearly as active and will probably get an answer here much faster.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:17 pm
Everything starts with....what's the plastic material and does it have an external UV coating? Just putting a regular base coat on the underside with NO external UV shield would end pretty badly fast in the Florida sun. When you work on a "plastic" anything the first clue in dealing with it is identifying exactly what it is......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:47 pm
You are trying to paint the new cover black like the old cover?
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:07 pm
Ill ask what its made of from the supplier, idk if i should buy a plastic coating or hit it with clear if it doesn't have uv protection. heres the DIY i posted somewhere else

Heres the stuff i used. (Use the sealant of your choice, butyl tape is the best, with black sealant being my second choice.)
I had some am-tech clear laying around, some jbp base coat, and i picked up this adhesion promoter (Not my first choice, but the autoshop closest to the house had duplicator only)

This is the stuff i use, again you can use your wax and grease remover of your choice.

Here they are when i first obtained them, plastic and paint cracking. I still loved them, $889 dual projector HID lights for about $400.

I ordered a new set of lenses. I figured since the paint cracked on the first ones, id paint these myself. I went ahead and ordered the "unpainted" ones.

Go ahead and heat the old assembly's at 250 for about 15 minutes in the oven.(put them in for 5 more minutes if the sealant starts to harden before you can remove it all the way) I used a butter knife.

Next i went ahead and cleaned most of the old sealant off of it using a razor blade.

Make sure not to skimp yourself on this step

This part was kind of tricky, first i set the new lens on top of the old one and lined up some masking tape with the old paint about halfway down the light.

Set the new cover aside now, grab the old cover and start applying tape to the inside of the lens around the edges of the inside of the non painted area.

Hold it into the light (see above picture) and you can clearly see, and trace the old paint line with a razor blade.

Your going to do this to the entire center part.

Next, very carefully, lift up this section of tape. Make sure you pick the tape up strategically to where the piece your picking up is under the next piece to lift, that way you don't leave a piece behind.

Place this piece on the corresponding lens. Remember the first step where i told you to line up a piece of masking tape on the top of the new lens? Thats the edge you're going to line up this cut piece with. Fill in the center part and wa-la

Next your going to scuff around the outside of the tape. I used a scotch-brite red, I'm sure some people would rather use some 1000 grit paper. Make sure its scuffed everywhere your painting for proper adhesion.

Next, take your wax and grease remover and clean all the areas you scuffed. Give the cleaner about 5 minutes to dry all the way and mist on a few coats of the adhesion promoter. This allows the plastic to really grab onto the base coat.

Load up whatever base coat you have and spray it to spec. Personally i had to do about 5 thick coats, all with about 8-12 minutes between coats. (first coat here) If your unsure if after 5 coats you have full coverage or not, hold it up into the light and see if you can see through it at all. If you can, plan on another coat.

This step is most definitely optional. I chose to clear coat the paint because i had it laying around and it would lock it down a little better than not doing it. This is them after clear, and a 30 minute oven bake at 160degrees f.

I laid a thin bead around the outside of the light, its better to have it come out of the side, then ruin the inside of the lens.

Lastly flip it over and line it up on the cover, you have plenty of time here so make sure you get it nice and straight. Apply moderate pressure to the cover and apply tape to get it as flat as you can around the whole thing. Don't be afraid to take some tape off and put some fresh stuff on.

After 24 hours apply some more sealer around the edges of the cover, and give it 24 more hours before install! Thanks everyone, enjoy!!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:10 pm
Nice Job,looks good
You forgot let it cure and then see if they blow off at 110 mph posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=24852#

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic