Spoiler Crack... help?!

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:04 pm
This is my first post so... hello everyone (: Okay so, my ABS spoiler has begun to create its own very small crack. i have sanded down the area to really get a good idea of what the issue is. The crack is not spreading but i fear it will if i don't take care of it now. So, i have a good idea of how I'm going to actually fix the crack (3M or JB Plastic repair epoxy, sanded down and followed by bond), but i don't know exactly what steps i should take beforehand to keep it from cracking over the next decade or so. Anyone got any ideas or tips? In the photos i used a Euro penny to compare the crack in size, in reality a euro penny is almost exactly the size of a US dime, so keep that in mind. Thanks in advance for any help everyone!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:19 am
First, welcome to the forum..... Okay, piece of cake repair.... First, get out a magnifying glass and see just how far the crack really extends. Once you think you've identified the "ends" of it I would drill 1/8 inch holes as "stops" at each end. If it appears going in several directions make sure each direction has a "stop." This severely limits the ability of the crack to spread. The crack itself should be V grooved with a Dremel style rotary cutter. Next, you could consider dong ABS welding or use something like Plastifix.... http://www.urethanesupply.com/step3f.php
I've done both with ABS before and I kind of prefer the plastifix for a problem like yours because you can use the included fiberglass backer to stabilize it from underneath which again limits the spreading of the damage. Once you've got the crack stabilized/filled I'd continue on with regular body filler or a poly putty to feather it out.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:38 pm
Drilling the holes to stop cracking is a great idea. Ive always used a 2 part plastic weld you can pick up at about any auto store. Spread some mud, sand it down, and hit that spot with some high build 2k.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:32 am
That is a type r wing or gsr wing right? :goodjob:
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic