Weird Problem - stripping paint from interio plastic molding

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:32 pm
Oh, awesome. I'll get some of that when I do my bumper. Thanks.

I managed to put long strips of the green tape on the molding, use a straight-edge to get it stuck down real well, then ripped it off. Worked pretty quickly, but getting the little trouble spots is taking forever. Should be done in another day or two.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:39 am
Will this the bumper stripper work on plastic interior molding pieces in cars? I'm just assuming it'll destroy them, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I figure someone would've recommended it if it were an option.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:11 pm
Most plastic strippers are all about the "dwell time." They work as most strong solvent strippers do, by penetrating the weak, thinner, areas, developing their gas and "lifting" the coatings away from the substrate. If you have multiple layers you are not usually close enough to start having a solvency effect on the underlying plastic, however when you've hit that last layer or two the stripper has already penetrated down to the plastic in some areas and is damaging those areas while you are waiting for it to get through and lift the thicker areas. Just an opinion, but interior plastics aren't very durable to begin with and you can easily turn a textured surface to goo trying to use them. Even doing bumpers.... you have to watch it.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:53 pm
Ah, good to know. I wondered how it worked. Thanks.
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic