Weird Problem - stripping paint from interio plastic molding

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:46 pm
Before I bought my car, a kid had it and painted several of the interior molding panels white. Luckily, he did a really bad job. He didn't sand or primer, and he just used spray paint. So the paint's flaking off now.

What's the easiest and quickest way to get all of the flaking paint off? It can't be something that will damage the plastic molding underneath he paint. It's not smooth plastic molding. It has a texture on it. Hard to describe.

The only thing I could think of was to use a scrub brush on it, but it seems like that could take a while. Anyone have a better technique? This is a 1991 Ford Taurus SHO with tan interior molding.

Thanks.
Last edited by BrianC on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:57 pm
assuming that you can take the moldings off, a good air nozzle not an ohsa one and 125 or so of air pressure. or if you have a pressure washer use that, you'll have to figure out how to hold them. or if you have one of the car washes locally that have the pressure wand then that should work also. don't forget to wear safety glasses with all above.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:54 am
What Jay said there is how we do this on plastics we run into on furniture. We try air first, then power wash as more of a last resort. If he really didn't do that good of a job coating it to begin with the texture underneath is of some benefit. If you've got some hard spot to remove you also might want to get some of the automotive high tack green tape sold by most paint jobbers. Press or "burnish" that down good and let set overnight, then pull. You'd be surprised how that helps loosen up the tough spots.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:04 pm
That's a big help. I hadn't even thought of those.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:00 am
Darrel sort of beat me to it with the high tack tape, but I was going to
suggest using duct tape, or Duck tape, or any real sticky tape. There's
also book binding repair tape that grabs real good.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:42 am
Thanks. Yeah, duct tape is a lot easier to find than the painter's tape.

What do you use to get the adhesive residue off?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:01 am
Also, this is probably a stupid question, but can paint thinner be used without damaging the plastic molding?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:05 pm
Do not use lacquer thinner on plastic parts ever. It eats right in and destroys the pieces. To remove residue use wax and grease remover or goo gone.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:19 pm
Yeah, that's what I figured.

The compressed air worked a little. Then I went to the high-tack green tape. I tried it overnight, but that didn't work any better than just applying the tape then pulling it off immediately. So I've been doing it by hand, using the tape. It's taking forever, but it works so far...at least it's working on the panels that had flat paint used on them. I haven't tried the panels with glossy paint on them yet. Those didn't flake at all, which means the paint might be better quality and harder to get off. Or it could mean the paint held together better and didn't adhere any better, so it'll come off easier (that'd be a nice treat).

I don't see how a paint shop could make money doing something like this. It'd cost so much in labor. Maybe I should've borrowed my friend's pressure washer. lol Oh well. At least it's getting done.

Thanks!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:19 pm
They make paint stripper for plastic parts. It's made by the same company as aircraft stripper I believe. It's bumper stripper.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!
Next

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic