finishing rough fiberglass

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:28 am
Hello all
first post and looking for expertise in fiberglass finishing. I think I've found the place I need here. I'm building a '53 Ford F-100 'street truck'. Not a restoration, but my idea of a '53. I have a complete fiberglass front flip that includes fenders, grill, hood mounted. The outside is gel coated the inside is rough fiberglass... chopped mat and resin.

There are areas with strands sticking up, mats overlayed and a very rough surface. I want the underside of the unit to be the same as the body color and pretty...

My question is what is the best procedure for prepping this surface for paint ?? It's a large surface with lots of curves and compound curves.. I don't think there is 3 sq ft of flat on the whole hood... I've had several suggestions from other builders but would like some advice from the people who do this everyday. Looking for longevity, consistant finish and something that will see engine compartment heat ...radiator and built 460 cu.in within inches of surface... plus the sun bearing down on the top. I know fiberglass acts differently than metal.

advice and instruction will be very welcome... I'll try to attach some pics below

thanks in advance
John
Attachments
rightfrontclosedopen1.JPG
just an overall shot for perspective the internal fiberglass bracing isn't being used..old pic.
DSC04286a.jpg
DSC04286.jpg
Last edited by jniolon on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:42 pm
Hi,John, and welcome.... Well, you were doing pretty good there until you mentioned that big block. If I was building that I'm not even sure I would want my "normal" bedliner finish up under there. Cook/cycling that fiberglass under there over and over is probably going to distort just about any fine finish eventually. At least with bedliner you'd have something easily repairable. My thought would be using something more like Liziard Skin which is a ceramic style undercoating which can take heat and even over that put some type of insulated blanket in the key area directly over the motor. You have to remember, that heat attacking the hood from outside/sun and motor/heat inside is really going to take its' toll on the outside sooner or later.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic