broken fiberglass repair

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:24 pm
i have done a search but found nothing that helps with what i need to do.

this a headlight bucket from a 240Z this is what it is supposed to look like

this is the area that i need to fix. the inner side mounts flush to the body so it needs to be smooth, and the outer side shows, so it needs to be smooth also.

what do i need to buy, and how to go about the fix? also, can i use paint stripper on these parts or will that eat the fiberglass?

thanks all sb

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:07 am
Just so I am clear...you need to fill out that broken out mounting hole area? If so I'd take some of that foil HVAC tape and use that as a backer. Fill in with Durglas stranded filler or an equivalent. Buzz that down and shape it. Next take some fiberglass mat, pull it apart and chop it up into 1/8th to 1/4 inch strand and fiberglass resin that down over top of your Duraglas. Do a couple of thin layers on each side. Drill your hole and smooth out the area with regular filler.
As for stripper on fiberglass.... it can be problematic especially with the parts I'm seeing. You can get surface distortion in fiberglass that you will have to fight in filler to straighten back out. I know it's a pain but I'd rather sand those up.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:16 pm
the mounting hole is what needs repair. would it help to thin a small area on either side of the break to spread the duraglas past the repair?
thanks for the help sb

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:14 pm
Yes, rough it down with some 80 grit and even throw some file marks in it on each side. The more "profile" you can get and also increase the grip area the better.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic