Preparing Fiberglass Panel for Bedliner

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:04 pm
Hey Folks!

I recently built a rear seat delete for my 1967 Mustang fastback.

I used a Divinycell Closed Foam Panel Board, wet it down with Polyester Resin and squeegeed down some fiberglass matte.

I wanted to use a roll on bed liner on the exterior. Here's where I get lost. How do I properly prepare for the bed liner material. Will this require scuffing or an adhesion promoter. And if so, what is a good recommendation,?

All tips and recommendations appreciated.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:15 am
If you are talking about a rough mat surface that you already have.... that's plenty of profile for bedliner to grip on to. When I build kit cars I use catalyzed bedliner up in the raw fender wells to prevent "starring" through from rocks and crap. I will make sure I hit them with a degreaser, make sure they are dry and then mini roll or shoot them. You really don't need an AP if you've got a rough fiberglass profile. You can get great grip even on old gel coats with bedliner if you prep. and leave a 80 to 100 grit surface.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:22 am
Darrel,

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like a plan to me.

I'll just make sure that my polyester resin is good and cured, hit everything with an 80 grit, clean it and roll on the bed liner. It sounds like the same process as regular painting preparation but using a smaller grit.

Much appreciation!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic