How should I modify my shell to fit my truck?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:21 am
How should I modify the shell? it's about 1" shorter than cab,1" or so longer than bed and upper sides stick out. I was thinking of adding .25" plywood under the shell rails where it sets on bed rails and covering it with fiberglass.
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:32 pm
Yep, you could do that and the rest.... well, it's kind of "slice and dice" thing from there. I'd feel pretty comfortable doing it but I don't know what your skill set is like.... so basically I would be taking a jig saw/body saw with a nice sharp fine blade and cutting at the outer edge of each side starting at the front lower corner then coming up and going down the entire length to the back. That would let that whole side flex so I could see how much more I might need to "take out" before "glassing" that all back in place. In other words that is going to let that whole side tilt in to match your cab body line. I would only do one side COMPLETELY at a time so you don't have a big flexible mess on your hands. I've had to straighten kit cars out very much like this. Unassembled kits if left outside in the sun/weather will "twist" many times and must be stress relieved this way and glassed back together. If you've never done it before it can be a little challenging....might want to go to youtube and see some fiberglassing videos.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic