Tsukayu Saddlebags

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:10 am
Thank you guys for continuing to help me out.

Question… I am about out of the high build primer. Another coat would require me to buy another quart. Would I be OK using the epoxy instead? Or is there not enough build to hide what’s left of the halo after hand sanding?

First session was with the Iwata LPH-80 mini gun. Used it so I could dial the fan and fluid way back and hit the underside edges of the lids real well, as they were very rough and will be exposed when all is done. The little gun worked great for that, 3 good coats on the edge. After a little sanding it came out super clean. But the mini gun didn’t do so well spraying the whole bag. Material too thick, tip too small, temps to high, and working in the direct sun. Ended up with dry spray in some areas. Not a big deal as I sanded 80% of all the primer off getting things flat.

Second session I used the Tekna. Even with the thick primer I had to dial the gun back a bit. 2 coats wet with about 20 minutes in between. It went down super smooth. No runs no sags no dry or rough areas. Has an even slight sheen as you can see in the pic.

Thinking the heavy coat caused the solvent interaction and the appearance of the halo. That’s OK tho, as there is plenty of material this time around. Should be easy to sand the halo out without rubbing through.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:45 pm
yeah buddy epoxy be ok too. just spot prime. one nice light coat should do it.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic