90 c1500 ss plastic grille - need ideas and help plz....

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:05 pm
I come by here to ask the experts. I've already asked 5 different body shops and all gave me totally different answers. Some of those ideas, I've already tried. Some worked.., and some failed.

What I am trying to accomplish is the following:

I got these gaps in this grille shell. They are very thin and flimsy. I am wanting to beef up these areas by adding something there that can be sanded and painted...
( the off-white areas are plastic-weld epoxy that I tried to use and has worked so far..., but to do this amount of gaps.., it will take cases of this stuff to do and too costly.)

The areas in red are what I am trying to fill in. I got 20g sheet metal I can make strips for the backing if needed and to support the screws that go through this shell.

I was told fiberglass, then told 2-part epoxy, then told something else. As for what type of plastic it is.., that is unknown. All I got is the following that sticks out on the inside as to the manufacturer of this grille..

(excuse the crap mess on the wire frame..., this is one of those ideas that won't work...)

As for the plastic type.., it will sand fine like powder with 220grit..., has a weird black plume smell when burnt.., and it melts very easy..... I know it not ABS plastic, or at least I don't think it is from what others told me so far and from what info I gathered from the inet...

I need help on which way and what to buy to get this done.

What I have tried so far... Loctite epoxy(so-so good), permatex epoxy..(worked very good-but costly), hot glue and wire frame(failure-must fix it), plastix -powder and glue (failed) and the uv version as well...(failed), and body fillers and body putty...(failed) and a few other things.....(all failed)

Many thanks for reading and I appreciate any ideas, help, or comments on this....

Signed,
Allen

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:49 pm
I would use valvoline plio grip. But by the time you buy the gun and everything needed it may get too expensive. I'd just back it with tape grind front edges a little and fill the hole. When dry I would sand the back good with some 80 and put some on the back for strength. Bondo and prime etc. but it's a difficult repair if you don't know exactly what you're doing.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:49 pm
Allen,
Working with any plastic always has to start with and I.D. on that material. Even repairs or fills that initially look "okay" can simply fall out with extreme temperature shifts. See if the guys at Polyvance can help you.... start with this page first....
http://www.polyvance.com/identify.php
Your letters or code doesn't seem to match up so go on down that page and you will see a flow chart that may help you figure out what it is. If that doesn't solve it then simply call them. They have helped many people here before with figuring out the base material and giving several options for doing the work.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:56 pm
what about 3m dp420 black adhesive ? What you mention states it wont hold up to fuels,brake fluid, and glycerol (antifreeze) ,...(I read this info on their site....)

the 3m dp420 may be a bit overkill...., and it definitely ain't cheap with the applicator gun....($60-$250.00 plastic 2:1 mix gun...) and the mixing tips are just as costly....

BUT..., it will hold up too all kinds of automotive fluids..., it can be molded in 20mins of time..., it's black..., sandable and paintable too....

The total kit with 2 cartridges cost for me will be $350 to $400 bucks........(doing some shopping around on Amazon, ebay, etc....)

The bad part..., is there is only 36 places on this grille that I got to fix....

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:03 pm
Yeah that should work too.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic