working with old fiberglass (preping)

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker
Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:50 am
Question: what is the best product I could use, to be sure all the old chemicals from waxing and cleaning etc are removed (working on a 73 vette body, much abused) bofore painting.
Car has seen years of sun and weather and not much care.

Bill

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:34 am
i use heavy dosh soap water and a red scotch brite. rinse with pressure was every few panels. repeat if you think its needed
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:00 pm
Yep, I like Dawn for that as well. The red pads are pretty aggressive and will pull off all that old crap. If you think there is anything further "stuck" on there you also might want to try a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and water. Working that Vette glass shouldn't be bad as the sun/weathering has probably already cooked off most of the old waxes/polishes.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker
Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:17 pm
Thanks for the information. I thought I'd have to use some "strong"mean liquid. This sounds a lot better, and much safer and easier.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:36 pm
With fiberglass "less" is "more" when it comes to chemicals. Strong chemicals can penetrate and get beyond surface resins, gel coats, etc., and get trapped in underlying "voids." You don't want stuff like that "gassing" back up through you new paint.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker
Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:14 pm
Never thought of the older chemicals "coming up through"the new paint on fiberglass. I do work with powder coating, and that is a concern with porous metals, another place to watch for it. Thanks

Bill

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:34 pm
Exactly, it is the same idea with fiberglass. I've seen some pretty strange stuff "bleed" out of fiberglass.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic