Filler for Bumper Covers?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:53 pm
hi guys and gals, new to the site and from what I have read I may find some good help here. I am in the later stages of sanding and prepping my 1987 Camaro for paint. But the front and rear bumpers have a few deeper scratches and a few rock chips that need to be filled. Can anyone recommend a filler for these plastic bumper covers? They are all very small repairs but am cutting no corners. Thought about bondo but wasn't sure how it would react with the (urethane) I believe it is. Thanks in advance for any help!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:13 am
There are lot of choices out there for this. I use USC products for a lot of this stuff. They make Body Icing and the more flexible PolyFlex.....
http://uschem.com/index.cfm?page=produc ... =144&pid=1
Even most of the higher quality bondo style fillers are now a lot more flexible and feather out nice.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:09 pm
That looks exactly what I was looking for, although I do have some good liteweight bondo for a few minor dings here and there, if cleaned really well do u think it would work? The chips are like the size of a pin head but deep down into the material. But if u thought it would work that would be easier cause I already have it. Thanks a bunch for ur help.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:09 pm
Sure, I think you'd be okay.... do some test spots with it. Clean well, sand, fill, feather and let them set for a couple of days. Poke and prod around them and you should easily see if they will "hold out."
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic