fiberglass

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:16 am
ok I have a question, I bought a fiberglass dash for my Harley project but it doesn't fit the couture of the tank very well. so I would like to lay it on its side and clamp some sheet metal on the out side then glass the inside. its just a thin flange that I have to make longer then I can shape it to fit the tank. my question is what can I use for mold release so the glass doesn't stick to the sheet metal on the out side. and not contaminate the glass for painting. i'll try and post a picture tomorrow.

thanks Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:35 am
Jay, for that I'd just keep it simple.... when I was a kid and fooling around with fiberglass I would grab my father's 1 pound tub of the old paste wax he kept up on the shelf. Put on a couple of coats, as in wax/set till haze/light buff. Any wax residue in the glass surface can be removed with a good quality degreaser or even just straight V.M.P naphtha. Hit it a couple of times and still sand of course....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:52 am
thanks Darrel, I thought of the wax but wasn't sure it wouldn't contaminate the glass. but that's what wax and grease removers for. i'm going to give it a try. years ago I use to put Baja kits on vws, I must have done 25-30 of them. most required repainting either the kit or usually the complete bug. some of the kits I would get were owner supplied and they would get fish eyes and I could not get rid of them. I would finely have to use some fish eye eliminator to get them to cover. it was something to do with their mold release.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:19 pm
Yeah, mold release butter, parting films, etc., can be tough stuff to get over with especially with dune buggies and even with some kit cars to this day. It usually settled out in micro bubbling in the gel coats and you couldn't see it until you started the coating process, then it was like, BOOM, instant fisheyes. Old style gel flakes were horrible about trapping mold release. Like you, many times I just threw up my hands and added the eliminator to my coating.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic