Help with primer bc adhesion issues.

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:06 pm
Guys i think i figured out what im doing wrong. I was spraying the kd3000 primer sealer as a sealer only and wetsanding it after 30-60 minutes then going straight to basecoat.
I think i need to spray the kd3000 as a primer. Sand it and then right before paint spray the kd3000 as a sealer without wetsanding. Does that make sense?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:40 pm
JUICEGOOSE wrote:Guys i think i figured out what im doing wrong. I was spraying the kd3000 primer sealer as a sealer only and wetsanding it after 30-60 minutes then going straight to basecoat.
I think i need to spray the kd3000 as a primer. Sand it and then right before paint spray the kd3000 as a sealer without wetsanding. Does that make sense?

badsix wrote:I don't know what it is your spraying, but if your sanding your sealer then maybe spray a light coat of sealer at the 4-1-2 just before your color coat. wet on wet as sealers are designed for is going to have your best adhesion. i would experiment with my gun to get it setup to spray better.
Jay D.

that's what I would do, try it see if it works.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:44 am
Yes, that would be the ticket. You probably could spray sealer, sand, seal again, and then hit it with BC while the sealer is still sticky. That's where the adhesion happens.

I understand you are trying to keep your film thickness down. But sometimes that extra layer is required to make everything work.

I use an airbrush on small parts. No dry spray issues if you work the wet edge.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:34 am
Thanks guys ya i think i had been moving to fast and spraying to far back. Hopefully this helps keep the bc from chipping off the primer layer.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:52 pm
So just to verify before I go paint this afternoon

prep the plastic part and spray the kd3000 as aprimer/sealer.
If surface needs sanding then wait for dry time and sand
If surface is good and smooth then go straight into BC after initial flash of sealer

If sanding is needed then sand and apply light sealer before bc

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:54 pm
Let's back up all the way to your first post:
after wetsanding I wash with hot soapy water and again blow dry the object and allow to sit for a couple minutes while I get my basecoat and color ready to go

I'd eliminate the soap. Or, clean the surface with a good wax/grease remover after washing it. We really don't know what's left on there and it could be contributing to your adhesion issue.

If you end up with texture on your primer you can sand it then go to base. You don't have to worry about re-shooting fresh sealer trying to chase the perfect surface to paint over.

And yes, if you are dusting the base on it is not going to adhere too well. You can do light coats but they need to be wet not dry going on.
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic