Need help choosing Paint Type.

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:44 am
Hi, I have a 96 international medium duty truck. I just finished doing most of the fiberglass work on the hood. I now just need to do a little bit more of body work and sanding before finally painting, But I am going to be painting the hood very soon. I would like to know the best options as far as the type of paint to use? I have painted a few body panel and one car before so i'm pretty much a beginner, but do have some experience. Now my Truck is a tow truck, it isn't a hot rod. Therefore I'm looking for a type of paint that is easy to spray, mix and dry but wont look too bad. I will probably do some kind of 2 tone paint job maybe stripes. It is a tow truck but It would look cool with a 2 tone paint job. I would like to buy a kit. Any suggestions on a paint type to use and other suggestions?. (like I said I'm not to picky it just needs a new easy paint Job). Thanks

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:28 pm
It's really all up to you.... when I think about commercial trucks I usually think "simple" solid color paint jobs which are SSU (single stage urethane) but if you are going to do a little more with some graphics bc/cc (basecoat/clearcoat) would probably open up more colors and metallic looks for you. As for "kits" I think I'd hook up with a professional local paint jobber and see if they might have some "specials" or essentially could put together a package for you. I don't have anything against finding stuff on the net and places like ebay, Amazon, Summit, Eastwood, TCP Global, etc., do "packages"however since you are newer to this I think local tech. support for products can be invaluable. Don't get me wrong... guys like PainterDave, Chris, 68 Coronet, etc., are always here to bend an ear but sometimes it handy to have some local support. Trying to return paint supplies over the can be frustrating, resulting in restocking fees, shipping fees, etc. An exception to that would be checking out the Tamco stuff in the Store Front right here on Autobody101. Chris might be able to put some things together for you and ha, ha... he's your tech. support :wink:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic