Fender flair repair/paint

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:12 pm
I have a 1st gen. 93 Dodge truck. does anyone know what material the fender flare is I have one that needs a gap repaired and repainted. What can I repair the gap with and what type of paint can I use.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:17 am
I'm getting old so bare with me here.... stuff is pretty flexible if I remember right???.... If so it falls under the very general category of "thermoplastic rubber." The "thermo" in there usually means this stuff can be plastic welded. You can double check this by doing some detective work here.... http://www.polyvance.com/identify.php It is always best to identify a material like this before doing anything to it.
If my memory is shot on the subject and that stuff is more rigid I would suspect an open fiberglass molded part or more like SMC (sheet molded compound). If would be SMC you MUST use SMC compatible repair materials or it simply won't hold. SMC materials have a mold release agent that is actually IN the material so a lot of regular adhesives/fillers will not stick to it.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:40 pm
Thank you Darrelk
I misspoke about the gap it is the finish coming off I posted this same question on another forum and someone there had refinished his with spray bedliner

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic