Questions about boat repair/repaint (pics)

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:50 pm
A couple months ago my boat was tied up with a buddies and a drunk idiot flipped up the fender between the boats. Before I noticed what had happened my buddies boat left some pretty good scratches on mine, some down to the aluminum. I’ve done some research and on how to go about doing a spot repaint/repair on this (which primer to use for aluminum, how to attempt to blend with a blending agent, ect) and it seems that it will be a challenge. I had the paint matched at O'reily with the computerized paint matching device and the guy gave me a small bottle of acrylic enamel touch-up paint to see if it would match. I painted a small area and once dry the paint seemed to match very well. I know the paint on the boat is a single stage paint but I am unsure of what kind (I need to call the manufacturer Lund), I also have access to a set of nice paint guns to take on this project. My question for you guys is: Is this worth trying to repair or should I make an insurance claim, and have this done professionally. I have no experience painting but am willing to learn as I go. Besides some very very minor scratches the boat is in very good shape. It doesn’t have to be perfect as the boat is a fishing boat and not a show car. But the way it happened and the fact that the rest of the boat being in great shape makes me cringe every time I see it and makes me want to fix it.

Thanks for the help
Attachments
IMG_0042.PNG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:31 pm
So you've got an aluminum boat and they flipped you over to our plastic land here.... oh, well.... It's a toss up. Aluminum does usually require some special considerations as to prep. and finishing. Although the color/touch-up process seems straight forward that doesn't mean you are going to have good "wear surface" necessarily when done. Best advice?.... I think I would at least have it looked at by a pro boat repair shop or two and get some opinions on how "they" would fix it. That is going to tell you more about the process and the time/materials needed to give a good job. Trust me, if it bugs you now, possibly a poorly done job done by you is going to bug you a lot more.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic