painting a abs motorcycle fairing

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:13 pm
i need to know the prepping steps to paint an abs fairing,I am planning on starting with 600 grit sand paper then spraying on bulldog adhesion promoter,then priming then scuffing with 1000 grit ,then paint.Do I have the steps and grit correct,I will be spraying with Colorite paint base coat clear coat.Also do you have to sand between base and clear coat.Thank you for help in advance.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:17 pm
Yeah, you are close there..... After primer I prefer to use more like 400 (usually that with solid colors) to 600 (if I'm laying down metallics) so there's more "profile" for the base color to stick to....And in a true base/color system you never, ever, sand or scuff between those steps. At most you might "denib" or if you find you kind of messed up the base and need to sand something out somewhat..... you would re-base before putting that clear on.
If you would do an overall sand of the base you are risking premature delamination/separation of your clear.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic