Mid 80's SS Monte nose

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:48 pm
Hi everyone. I have a new GM front nose for my 84 SS Monte. I guess the correct term is bumper cover. But its black and very flexible, almost like rubber? Im not sure what it is material wise. My initial thought was to just hit it with 180 and then epoxy, primer, paint..... But I thought Id better check on here first and get some opinions. Ive been working on this car for about 7 years. Completely gutted it and started from scratch as time allowed. I have everything done and back together besides the front and rear bumper covers. At one point, it must be 3 years ago I bought adhesion promoter from ********** which I never opened. Im not sure what I had in mind. So Im wondering what process you all would use. Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:51 am
So you've landed in the land of plastic....You should have what is referred to as Enduraflex bumpers here. You bought adhesion promoter because it like those pieces are down to the bare plastic, right? If they are you must use an adhesion promoter before the first coat of anything. Now, the next question is....is your 3 years old can of ********** stuff still good? If it was indeed sealed and there was not much dead air space in the top of the can you should be okay, but I think I'd call ********** just in case. Sanding with 180 is okay, apply promoter, epoxy, primer (don't hammer on the primer), and into your paint system. Double check your paint system to see if a flex additive might be needed but most don't since modern paint systems are so much more flexible. Old style flex additives were mostly put in to modify the paint long enough to shoot the bumper off the car and then get it mounted. Personally I haven't used flex since the early 90s.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:13 pm
there are a few different ways to do bumpers but here is a walk through that may or may not help you.

doing it right would be expensive if doing only one bumper because the purchase of the proper stuff will do many bumpers therefore not as expensive

http://www.automotivepaintandequipment. ... c_Prep.pdf
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic