prepping a plastic bumper for paint

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:22 pm
I hardly ever do BW on newer cars as I usually work on restorations .My 17 yr old granddaughter got into a minor front end collision so I got a bumper cover from the junkyard that has the OEM finish on it.How do I prep for paint? what grit SP? Do I need adhesion promotor? Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:50 pm
here's what I do if the covers has no damage. I like to wipe with W&G remover, get it clean then rub with a maroon scratch pad and Comet cleaner wet. wash with soap and water, let dry wipe with W&G remover. now if the color your going to spray is one that doesn't cover well or is an extreme difference. i'll look at the old cover and see what color the primer was used and seal the new cover with that color. then go to my color and clear coat. this give you more of a chance of a good color match. colors i'm talking about would be like a some yellows over a red or darker color, or some reds over a darker or lighter color. like red over oem light primer as to red over a dark blue oem color. I don't use sealers a lot but this might be a good time to use one.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:20 am
You only need adhesion promoter for bare plastic.
If the bumper is already painted you treat it just like any other
panel on the car. Same procedures.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:08 pm
Thanks Its a red bumper and im painting it white so I will put 2 coats of ********** white epoxy primer on I have on the shelf.THANKS

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic