Any fiberglass experts here?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:29 am
Picture 172.jpg
Quite a few years ago ( maybe 15 ) I replaced a front frame rail ( which was primarily glued in ) a wheelhouse ( which was primarily glued in ) and a bunch of suspension work on a corvette, other than making some major repairs on a friends golf cart that would be about my entire experience with working with fiberglass.

Maybe I should not be using the term fiberglass here, not sure what else to call the make-up of this spoiler, its is filled with some sort of dense foam, very dense, very difficult to scrape.

Id like to add a couple of inches to the center and reshape the ends where it would bolt onto my decklid.

Im looking for some advice on how this is done.

The exterior plastic coating is very hard, reminds me of what Ive heard the gelcoat on a boat.

Im sure Ill have to start out with finding a piece of rebar or something to once again join the halves together so it dosent droop over time, no problem there but not sure what the next step might be to take with this.
Attachments
Picture 176.jpg
Picture 175.jpg
Picture 174.jpg
Picture 173.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:26 pm
Looks like you've got closed cell high density polyisocyanurate foam there on the inside with a possible gel coat or even epoxy surfacer as a "shell" around the foam. If this was a rather limited run part they could have done shaped blanks of the foam and then simply sprayed the surface shell on. Your best chance for adding on or bonding to those surfaces is making sure they are clean, roughing up with 80 grit for good stick, then using epoxy resin (I like West System epoxy) combined with finely chopped up mat to build your thickness. Once you've got that center tube pinned back in and lined up. You would just start layering the wetted out mat. I'd build it out along the entire top and bottom of that wing in a least a couple of layers. That would increase the strength of the entire piece greatly. After that is thoroughly cured you would move on to regular bondo type filler, guide coat, 2k primer, guide coat,epoxy seal, etc.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:47 pm
Thanks for the tips

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic