Newbie painting fiberglass bus panels

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:32 pm
Hello,

I am relatively new to painting and I need some advice on my next project.

I have a 2003 Ford E450 Shuttle Bus that we are using as a tailgating vehicle. We'd like to do a two color paint scheme with yellow in the front fading into red on the rear. My previous painting experience has always been from bare metal. We used primer then base color, then a couple coats of clear.

Since we're painting over an already painted fiberglass surface, what steps do I need to take and what type of paint should I use? Please keep in mind that this is not going to be a show quality paint job, I just need it to look good (not look like a crappy rattle can job) and not fade after a year.

I'm new to this site, so once I figure out how to upload pictures, I'll give you an idea of what it looks like now.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:57 pm
Well, the fiberglass really isn't coming into play too much here. You are essentially putting a new paint job over existing paint which is done all the time. I am assuming that is probably the factory paint you are going over? Wash it, use an automotive degreaser, scuff sand/or scuff pad existing paint, epoxy seal coat, and it's off into your preferred paint system. I'd probably go base/clear on it if you're doing the fade thing. And on that subject....have you ever done an effect like that? You'd better do some searches on here and maybe try to see some youtube demos on it. I've done fades from top to bottom on cars/trucks but a fade like you are doing is much more ambitious especially on something this large.
Like I said the fiberglass really shouldn't influence the overall shoot too much. You get a little more static electricity during the shoot so make sure everything is squeaky clean. I usually like to attach a grounding chair to the vehicle and then to my building ground rod. It might be voodoo but I do think it helps. And I'd paint suit up from head to toe so nothing is coming from you static/wise.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:51 am
I am paining over the factory paint. I wasn't sure if i needed to spray anything before putting color on it.

I have never done the fade affect but I have done my research and have watched several youtube videos on the subject. I'll do a couple practice runs on some extra panels that are laying around. Again, not needing a show quality finish, just need to make my tailgating bus look good.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:29 am
Would be cool to see some pictures as you go along.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:56 pm
Still trying to figure out how to upload pictures.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:08 pm
Here's a picture of our first bus.

[img]
Left%20side.JPG
[/img]
Attachments
Left side.JPG
Previous bus

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:12 pm
Here's the new bus
Attachments
IMG_0493.JPG
Left Side
IMG_0492.JPG
Right Side

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:28 pm
Good, you are painting over a factory paint job. Should be pretty easy, well..... that sure is a big rascal. You'll probably need some type of platform/scaffolding around that
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:33 pm
Here's "Fun Size" before we sold her.
Attachments
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_0256.JPG

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:15 pm
So here is a very crude mock up of what we plan to do. Yellow in the front and fade into Red in the back. The side windows are out of the bus so I don't have to go around them.

Will i need some type of primer to cover up the blue and green?
Attachments
New Bus.jpg
Next

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic