Newbie painting fiberglass bus panels

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:39 pm
I'd use epoxy mixed as sealer. Nothing is going to bleed up through that.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:14 pm
Not exactly sure of what you're talking about there.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:51 pm
Okay, this is a good example....
https://www.autobody101.com/store/paint ... xy-primer/
Not saying you have to buy here at the forum but that is a good epoxy. You, of course, can buy through any local paint jobber (supplier). Any major paint brand.... ie., PPG, Nason, Transtar, etc., is going to have an epoxy coating they sell. One of my local favorites from my PPG jobber is Dplf40. Epoxy is used to completely seal off problems, contamination, etc., that you might not see in that existing paint. Everything from bird crap, iron rail dust, concrete splash, road salts, and on and on can cause problems for successive coatings. You want to try to scrub/sand off anything you see but there will always be invisible contamination that needs to be "locked" down so it doesn't bleed up into your new paint system.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:22 am
That is a big job.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:01 am
My arms hurt just looking at it..... :(

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:17 am
The primer is on. Had some tiger stripes and a couple runs but once I got the gun set, it went on fine. I'll be putting on color this afternoon.
Attachments
IMG_0801.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:31 am
Looks pretty good. Better to work out your gun adjustments in this primer stage anyway. Keep throwing pictures up as you have time.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:09 am
smoothed out the primer and started adding the yellow base coat on the front end. I put on two light coats and still didn't have the coverage I needed so I turned up the gun and started a third coat but the air compressor crapped out before I got very far.

This shows the line I'm going to use for the yellow to red transition. I decided not to try and fade from one color to the next.
IMG_0802.JPG

Here's the first two coats of yellow base. They went on pretty thin so I didn't get the coverage I was hoping for but a couple more coats should to the trick.
IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:30 pm
Yeah, really make sure you achieve "hiding" with your colors. Guys get hung up on "coats" with base.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:04 am
Should be the final coat of yellow. I can't see anymore grey primer showing through.
3rd coat.JPG

Just some bad shadows on the door in this pic.
3rd coat2.JPG

Temps were cold outside, around 30. Had to run a couple heaters just to get up to 60 degrees in the shop. Cold blast coming through the area today and tomorrow, looks like I won't be painting again until the weekend.
PreviousNext

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic