Can this be fixed (noob question)

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:45 pm
Hi Guys,

Hey, I'm new to this forum and a rank amateur so go easy on me (I'm a wood guy, not a car guy).

Wife backed into a fire hydrant (hydrant is fine) and made this hole in the rear bumper of our "ye olde" Toyota RAV. The piece that broke out fits perfectly in the hole that it broke out from. There are also a couple small cracks need attention as well.

Typical plan would be to go to the body shop here in Philly, where they'll replace the whole bumper and I'll have to use insurance (minus my $500.00 deductible against a $1000 plus bill).

My question: would there be a way to sort of glue/ bond this piece in, fill and sand and hit it with some silver paint? Is this something that a bodyshop might do for a couple hundred bucks or will they just laugh at me? I'm not looking for perfection; just want to fill the hole if that's doable.

Any and all ideas and suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance!

Greg
Attachments
IMG_2486.JPG

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:44 pm
Have had great success with this... i have repaired tears and holes. Polyvance plastick welding kit.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:51 pm
Thanks Pontgta. That looks great. So the problems I'll run into are:

It's 30 degrees here and my car is parked on the street, so I don't know if that's a reasonable temp for welding plastic.
Don't have the tools.
Don't know if I have the skills.

What I have learned from the video you posted is it can be done! Ideally I would like to find a body shop or a "guy" who can do it for me for a couple hunderd bucks rather then paying the 500 dollar deductible for my insurance to cover it.

Next steps are to find the shop that can do the above for a couple hundred bucks or less or do it myself when it warms up. So the video was instructive. Thanks again!

Greg

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:25 am
Can it be done, yes. Should it be done, duno about that. Maybe a used bumper cover would be a better option?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:36 am
I think it would at least be worth looking for another bumper cover. There are a lot of those on the road and I see silver ones all the time. Try this.... www.car-parts.com
You'll see where, in relationship to where you are at, they are and you just never know....would be considerably easier to do and a lot less bucks.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic