fiberglass spoiler prep

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:19 pm
hello all! i have a couple questions on prepping fiberglass for paint.
is this black coating what is called gel-coat? it is very smooth. will just scuffing it with say 180 grit be enough for primer to stick well?
100_2177.JPG

on the bottom, the last 6 inches or so will show, so i need to paint them. im thinking smoothing with filler, epoxy, then primer and paint. any recommendations?
100_2178.JPG

thanks all sb

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:30 pm
Okay, blew the pic.s up and threw some filters over them. Yes, that's a pretty decent part finished in a "sandable" gel coat. Black is used because it is considered "self guide coating" which means as you sand the white powdered surface will easily show the imperfections. There really is no need to dip below 240 to 320 to prep. it however, I would recommend a thorough cleaning before that to eliminate any traces of mold butter or what is commonly called mold release. Quick soap and water rinse and dry... followed by both a prep sol type degreaser and water based degreaser (50/50 denatured alcohol/water mix).

On the rough side there do yourself a favor and sand it somewhat level and seal with epoxy BEFORE you do your filler work. If you don't you can easily get "gas pockets" in your filler later. After the filler is good to go then epoxy again and move on as you planned.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:12 am
very good. thank you!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:32 am
Hey.....when you are done throw up a few pic.s here. It's really helpful for the new guys that don't know what to expect with fiberglass finishing.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic