Blow Out!!!

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:59 am
So I ran into a little problem last night on final assembly. One of the rivets pulled the pin all the way through instead of popping off. Enlarged the hole from a tight 1/8 to maybe 5/32 to 3/16 and deformed the surface a bit right around the hole. Then I totally screwed the paint when I SOOOOO carefully pushed the rivet out. Blew out a good chunk all the way down to the glass. Rivet head only covers half the damage. So whatever I do the repair will be visible all the way around the rivet.

How do I go about fixing this. JB weld? Fiberglass resin? Just layer epoxy primer until the build is the same level as the rest?

I have half a mind to fill the entire hole with JB weld and then float a toothpick off in the center of the hole (for the drill bit to follow later). Drill the new hole, carefully sand flat and feather out a little, spray a little black epoxy with the airbrush, sand and feather just a tad, light coat of black BC with the airbrush, couple of coats of clear with the airbrush, then cut with 1200/2000 and buff by hand.

Thoughts?
Attachments
B.jpg
A.jpg

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:48 pm
Someone moved my post and now you can't see any of the replies.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:50 pm
Taz.... This is a bag lid, where one of two hidden hinges attach to it. This is on the money side.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:26 pm
So they threw you over in plastic land here, huh?..... I don't think I would trust that to fiberglass or JB weld. I'd use something like a high quality 4 to 1 ratio epoxy filler with added carbosil, ceramic balloons, or other like extender/thickener. We use West System epoxies for this type of work all the time. You can basically just do what you said with the toothpick thing. Grease the toothpick up with a little paste wax and it will slip right out. When you put the filler in I'd spread it out much larger on the back side so you get good bonding around the hole from that back side. And, yeah, I like the rest of your plan.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:54 pm
do it right...

cut that whole piece down with 800, use fiberal and glaze to do the repair

mask your silver line paint the black unmask and clear the whole thing. cut it down one more time and clear.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:35 am
So…

I ended up using JB weld mixed with finely chopped fiberglass to partially fill the hole and damaged area, 2 applications over 2 days. Let it sit a week, opened the hole back up by hand, roughed up the area with a sanding pen, and then did several light applications of epoxy primer with a toothpick over a week or so… sand, apply, sand apply, until the damaged area was completely filled and the whole area was sanded down a little lower than the rest of the part. Let that sit a few days then took the airbrush and very carefully sprayed black, then the pearl midcoat, and a few layers of clear. Cut-n-buff and here’s what I have.

The only mistake was that I didn’t spray quire enough midcoat. I was concerned about the build and it was real tough to see how much I had down. So I learned something. Mix heavy on the sparkle to keep the build minimal. And do this kind of stuff in the daylight where you can see.

Anyways… You will never see the variation in sparkle once I get the bike together. Only I will know it’s there.
Attachments
C.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:00 pm
Looks good....glad you got it fixed. :goodjob:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic