Poly Primer Not Drying - Any way to fix?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:48 pm
I'm working on a huge (9 feet tall) sculpture made of fiberglass. This morning I sprayed the whole thing with a thick coat of poly-primer. I used PCL 901. The guys at the place I bought it told me to mix 9 drops of the hardener per quart. After we sprayed it :oops: I read the directions on the back and it suggested 1/2 ounce per quart. And I think half an once would be something like 250 drops! It's been about 5 hours since I sprayed and it's just barely dry in the thin areas and super tacky in the thick spots. Do you think this will dry out eventually? Should I wait? Spray another coat on-top with more hardener in it? Or remove it? Thanks!!!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:05 am
This will probably end up over in our fiberglass section but anyway.... the problem you will have is yeah, it would eventually dry and harden but how long are you willing to wait? I was working on a fiberglass kit car one time and had done Slick Sand on the entire nose. Didn't notice I had one batch made with some seriously out-of-date hardener. Lower part of the nose was just not drying/hardening. I had even tried a heat gun on it, hit it with some fast solvents, etc., and it was taking forever. It's up to you but I just ended up using a scraper and removing it all.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:12 am
Lessons learned.
1. Never take the advice of a salesman.
2. Always read and follow the product tech sheet.

Don't feel bad. You are not the first to learn these lessons the hard way. :bighug:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic