Clear for chip resistance.

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:47 pm
Thanks again Darrell. I need to give berry at ********** a call and order up some epoxy primer. I have been using the HOK kd3000 Hybrid epoxy primer. I'm not unhappy with it at all. It's got great bite but i hear great things about ********** epoxy primer and I'm out of white primer.
I'm also out of the HOK USC01 clear. and was thinking of going with the ********** universal clear.
These parts are for fishing equipment like reels and components for fishing rods. your right. I have no way of knowing what they use I'm just trying to make mine a good as possible. I know the coatings seem very thin but are for sure at least a primer/single stage or primer base clear application. a sandpaper block or razor blade shows me that.

Side note on general painting. If I wait 24 hours for the primer to set and then wetsand. Would you guys let the part dry for an additional 24 hours or not recommend wetsanding at all. I wetsand to simply keep dust down and paper clean usually just scuffing the surface for basecoat.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:17 pm
That epoxy thing with the wet sanding is kind of a toss up ....I think it depends more on who's epoxy we are talking about....they seem different to me. With what you are doing here I don't think it would make as much difference anyway.
Hey, tell Barry, Darrel at Furniture Physicians says Hi! I restored an old turn of the century mantle clock for him awhile back.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic