Front Bumper - Minor Crack - Repair Adviec

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:11 pm
Hello,
Just bought a new 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback, hasn't even hit 1000 miles and a piece of rubber flies up from the car in front of me on the interstate and pierces the temporary license cover and puts a crack in the front bumper. As you can see it is only about 1.5" in length and the crack still lines up. I am taking it to an auto body repair shop later today/tomorrow but was curious as to whether this is a repair or a replace job. I've read online that smaller cracks can be filled etc. and seeing that the spot is behind what will be a license plate, I would rather not spend 700+ it will cost to replace the bumper. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:11 pm
drill a 1/16 or 1/8 whole at then end of the crack so it dont crack further and put the plate back on.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:07 am
Bummer....you should check something on this though. This type of damage is normally covered under your comprehensive insurance since an object obviously hit you. It is not collision since you didn't run your car into something. Comprehensive deductible is generally a much lower deductible. I think all my policies currently are at $200 and they kick in past that. As for repairing that, considering where its' at, a competent shop should be able to plastic weld it and finish it well enough.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic