cracking paint on front lip

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:10 am
Hello. New here. I painted my front lip with spray cans and after 7 days of curing the paint was cracked. What did I do wrong? Procedure:
1. Sand polyurethane lip
2. Adhesion promoter 2 coats. 10 min in between
3. Primer 5 coats. 10 min in between
4. Base coat 3 coats. 10 min in between
5. Clear coat 4 coats. 10 min in between.

1 week to cure. Painted outside in sunlight. Cured indoors

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3W1ZG ... p=drivesdk

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:36 am
At the risk of being cheeky, you answered your own question.
Carpediem1487 wrote: I painted my front lip with spray cans

Problem is just way too many coats. Paint is too thick and needs to be sanded off and re-done. You also need much longer flash times, especially between products and make sure that each coat is thin. Hard to do with spray cans, I know, because they don't atomise very well and so the droplets come out quite large. Shake well and warm the cans before use (sit in a bucket of warm water).
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:23 pm
Thanks NFT5! I was worried that I didn't have enough lol. I guess less is more in this case. I will sand and repaint. I have heard that for PU parts you should use flexible primer and paint. Would there be any merrit to this for my 2nd try?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:26 pm
If you plan to stay with aerosols it sure wouldn't hurt to use flexy products. Just an opinion, but using aerosols like this on such a flexible part are probably a lot of your problem. I am assuming they are just 1k products?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:27 pm
Thanks, DarrelK. I will try to find flexible products for this project. Yes they were just

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:13 am
Okay, when you hammer on 1k style lacquer products on something like this urethane surface that is exactly what you get. In my opinion that edge leading surface is not a good place for any 1 k product. You'll find it won't wear very well, even if you do go to a more flexible 1k. Would be better to go to a 2k product.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic