First post, maybe first project...

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:58 am
Hello all, looking for guidance on a project car my son inherited via suicide of a friend...The car is a WHITE '99 Mustang GT & we think the goal is to sell it, but the neglected shape has given me a nice little project. I've already fixed a bunch of mechanical/electrical issues & have been toying with the idea of getting some body & paint experience. This car had been branded "rebuilt" in Washington State back in '05 so I know it has a value limitations...Rear bumper is trashed, front bumper is paint peeling, driver door is banged up & rear quarter panel driver side had a big dent that I've already minimized. I would like to start out by repairing or replacing the bumper covers.
I already have a Fuji Spray Q4 Turbine sprayer I bought back in '07 for doing interior door & trim finish...The only spray gun I have is a siphon bottom fed XT-2 so hopefully this would suffice for the bumpers...I do have access to a large conditioned shop on weekends which has a BIG compressor system plumbed for spraying primer, but want to avoid lots of overspray of the base coat & clear coat out of respect, so the plan is to use my Fuji Spray Turbine. :happy: Anyway, get ready for some NUBE questions if I can't find specific instruction via the forum search button.
IMG_2317.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2320.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:46 am
The Q 4 setup will be fine for what you are doing. Just remember, you will need to do some minor "tweeking" possibly with reduction on your fluids. That's a powerful turbine though so it shouldn't take much.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:35 pm
Thanks for the reply...I got an email from FujiSpray today and was surprised by this recommendation for automotive finishing with my Q4..."Historically, below are the best air cap sets to use for automotive finishes:

· 1.3mm air cap for primer application
· 1.0mm for base coat
· 0.8mm-1.0mm for clear coat"

...interesting. I thought cap size was going to be larger across the board.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:30 pm
That is not unusual at all with turbine gun tip recommendations. They just don't correlate across the board with HVLP, LVLP, or RP compressed air guns. The high CFM and lower pressure mean that less material is fed into the air stream generally. Even your pass speed is generally slower to get the correct wet mil spec. on your surface as compared to the other types of guns.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic