Bed Cover Finish ... hopefully I'm in the correct forum ;)

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:06 pm
On one of my projects (54 Ford F100) I made this bed cover so I could safely store project parts and keep them contained and clean.

As time has past, I think I actually like the thing and am wondering what methods of finish might be appropriate to make it durable for every day outdoor use?

My initial thought is to just glass it with fiberglass mesh and resin. That should make it impervious to moisture for sure. Glass would also give me the ability to form the surface and edges to a nice pleasing appearance.

What would it take to securely attach a suitable coat of fiberglass to this (basically plywood) surface?

Does anyone have any other, possibly better, ideas on how one might approach this little *side project*?

I'd love to have your input. :worthy:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:35 pm
Yep, you are in the right place....What you do to this depends a lot on how you will keep using it. Is it hinged, slide, or do you just take it off right now? This makes a difference on what you do to it because of the added weight of fiberglass resin, mat, and cloth that you would be using. A piece like this could easily gain 50 to 100 pounds depending on just how thick/stiff you make it and how much of the initial resin sinks in. If you don't want it too much heavier I'd consider something like some initial fiberglass and mat and then switch to something like a catalyzed bedliner. Just remember something wooden materials like this should be treated with the same layup and finish system on both sides. You do that so that wood can shrink/swell at the same rate. I'd sand the surfaces up with 80 grit, blow dry, and go into your glass layup. Don't know what the temps are like where you are at but it might be best to do it at night/early morning to give you more "work time" with the stuff.
Well, a thought just popped in my head from a buddy of mine and his truck..... He didn't want to add weight to his plywood design and also didn't want to spend a ton of money on paint for his deep metallic root beer matching paint he was going to buy for the bed cover. He ended up buying Goodyear marine grade faux leather (Naugahyde) in a deep brown and stretching it over about 1/2 inch thick high density foam which was laid over the base plywood. Cover really looked sharp and he made it a tilt up cover by using hatchback lift pistons. Just a thought.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:28 am
Would it be wise to drill a grid (maybe 6" X 6" grid) of holes (maybe 1/4" holes) in the plywood to provide an extra degree of attachment.

Effectively *pinning* the glass into the plywood?

That plywood is only 1/4 thick.

The top just lifts off. It's not too bad as for weight now and another 50 to 100 pounds would not be a huge problem. It's a two man job as it is.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:36 pm
It would be a lot easier to just use a "spiked or slotted roller" which is a tool normally used in fiberglass work to remove air as you lay down the mat into the resin. All you would do differently is just put a little more pressure on the plyboard as you rolled. This causes what are referred to as "compression dimples" in the plywood surface which slightly expand as the wet resin comes into contact with it. Bottom line....this will create a very durable locked in surface without the added weight of doing that drilling process and just having "resin only" in the holes. Resin alone is much weaker than the combo of resin and mat layered on there.... Rollers for laminating are available locally at any marine supply shop. If you are dealing with only 1/4 inch plywood you shouldn't be adding more than 25 to 35 pounds to the whole thing, depending on just how much laminating you want to do. While you are at the marine store try and get a laminating resin if you can. It will work better for your project than just the run of the mill stuff from an automotive supply store.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic