need adhesive/install tips

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:09 pm
I'm about to install air vent scoop made of FRP composite material. The vents are located on both sides on the quarter panel or above the rocker panel near back wheels. This part of the body is made of steel.

Should I go with some of type (like 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive) or should I use 3M double sided tape? I need strong and excellent fit. Any tips?

Thank you!
Last edited by lurker on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:53 pm
I know this may sound stupid but....are the vents going to be functional being fully opened up inside through the metal?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:55 pm
Yes, these are functional vents if that's what you meant to ask. The car is Porsche Cayman and has a mid engine.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:58 pm
Good, you should be able to use the tape then...... I was just worried about air pressure build up if they weren't. Your tape really should not be under that much stress.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:12 pm
Makes sense... Thanks! Would it be a overkill to use the adhesive? Will be difficult to remove later?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:22 pm
I think the tape comes off better in the long term. When removing that tape I just pre-soak with naphtha around the edges and use a plastic body panel removing tool to get it moving. The adhesive could be a little more troublesome.....

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:21 am
Ok, thanks! I ordered 3M 06384 tape and 4298 adhesion promotor. Will post pics once done.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:34 am
Yeah, do post some pic.s then....I really like the styling on these.....be interested to see the mod.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:26 pm
Didn't go very well actually. I received the part couple of days. I had chance to install the part only yesterday (around 12pm). This AM (about an hour ago), I went to garage to take a look. To my dismay, one of the scoop came off partially. I noticed two bubbles on the tape :(

I had to pull it the scoop completely. Something went wrong but not sure what.

To make things worse, the adhesive promotor mentioned above damaged the vent plastics.
I applied the promotor slightly over the plastic too without thinking too much about it :(

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:36 pm
If that's happening my thought would be that the parts aren't conforming enough to the panel you are putting them on or the parts are just too heavy for tape mounting. Probably means an adhesive isn't going to be much better.....Did the manufacturer of the parts give any recommendations for mounting them?

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic