Fibre Glass Edge Repair

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:36 am
Hi Folks

Can someone give me some guidance on how I can repair a fibreglass panel edge that has been damaged. The damaged edge no longer has any strength and you can see the fibre glass strands I believe called delamination. What is the best way to repair this. Can I just glass over the edges starting from the backside of the panel and wrapping it around the damaged edge or do I need to cut the damage out and somehow reform the edge with a glass fibre kit? I would then plan to use P40 filler over the top, sand and finish.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:53 pm
When I have a "breakout" like this at an edge what I like to do is shape a mold surface underneath or over top where the edge was....you can do this with something as simple as a paint stir stick, tongue depressor, craft stick, wood veneer, or even modeling clay. Just about anything that will allow you to follow the original contour of the edge. I spray those materials with a mold release then begin my build-up. I would take regular mat and chop it up finer with scissors then get some resin on and keep feeding the mat into it. It will probably take a few layers to get your thickness. Once you've got your mold material out of the way regular sand/shaping will get your edge established again. As far as strength goes I would either consider using a layer or two of cloth laminated to the inside extending at least two to three times the area or simply embed a metal wire or strip of metal along the inside using mat/resin again.
Worst one I ever had to do like this was a forklift hit through the shipping crate on a kit truck I was building. It knocked out a basketball size chunk which extend along compound curves and, of course, included the edge. Nobody kept the chunk, unfortunately. Shaped out the whole thing in modeling clay and laid up 5 layers to replicate the 3/8s inch thick stuff.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:20 am
Hi Darrel
Thanks for your response but I'm not entirely sure I'm understanding the process. What is mold release? So are you saying that I build a mold which is attached to the damaged object in some way and this is used as a guide to get the shape\edge back. Do I spray mold release inside the mold so the mold doesn't stick to the new glass? I'm not sure if this approach is practical given the size of the damage?

I have attached a photo of my issue, its actually a right angle, sorry I wasn't that clear. Its not a big area and was hoping for an easier option. :D like just laying the matting around the edges but I'm not sure if that would be possible or not?

IMAG0451.jpg

Thanks

Richard

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:28 am
Well, scratch everything I said.....that's an easy one. I would use a fiberglass reinforced filler on that. Here in the states we use something like USC Duraglass which is simply put on like you would body filler. Fillers like this have a different base resin with long or short hair (doesn't really matter that much for what you are doing) fiberglass mixed in. You should have some filler equal product available to you..... Here is a tech. sheet on Duraglass....
http://www.uschem.com/products/docs/TDS_Duraglas1.pdf
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:50 pm
On my Factory Five Daytona Coupe and my dad 64 Fairlane tear drop hood anytime I had egde issues or seam issues I used 3M High Strength Repair Filler. It is hard as a rock.

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:45 pm
Thanks Both, I used Isopon p38 in the end before I read your replys! it just came to me, not sure why I was over complicating it. I guess P40 Isopon would of been better as I believe that has fibres in it much like what you described.

Thanks for your reply's!

Richard

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic