Custom painting w/ BC/CC

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:51 pm
My question is about timing. Most of the datasheets that I have read for BC/CC materials normally list a window of time for applying the clear coat, if time runs out it normally states scuffing the base coat and re-applying. Normally the maximum time limit appears to be about 24 hours.

So if you are laying out a custom design that involves taping, masking and maybe even some artistic design work, how do you get all of that done in BC and within the time limit to be able to spray clear over it without some type of issue occurring? I have seen some very elaborate paint jobs that I find hard to believe they did all of that in a day's time.

So what is the trick?

Thank you.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:42 am
Depends how much custom work you are doing I suppose. But the rules I paint by are to,

Base coat
Clear
Sand 800
Art work
Clear
Sand 800 (pinstripe now if needed)
Clear
Sand 800
Clear
Polish if needed

If you are doing multiple tape outs and over lapping designs you can use DBC500 (clear base coat) to protect your art and that can be lightly sanded if your window expires. Don't believe everything you read on a tech sheet. There are to many factors that will change what's written on tech sheets. 24 hour at 65-70 degrees is what most say but I'd never go even close to that time before clearing. I don't like to go more than a few hours without clearing or putting down some kind of mid coat. There is also a product called AP-01 adhesion promoter than I use a lot of on certain jobs that will make anything stick if applied properly. I'm sure there are a lot of opinions on this subject. Are you planning art work ? Perhaps I could give you a step by step if I knew more about what you are planning.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:03 pm
I think I get the idea. I am looking at multiple masking for various colors on my dragster so it sounds like I should mask for a color, base/sand/clear. Let that dry then mask out the next color, base/sand/clear and keep repeating. I would think that once all of the colors are on, then give it several coats of clear to level it out.

The car in the picture is more elaborate that what I want to do but might give you an idea of what I am thinking about. Thanks!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:18 am
Base then clear within a couple of hours. No sand in between.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:25 am
So on subsequent colors there is no worry about grip on the clear? Or do I have to completely cover up any areas that will be getting subsequent colors?

One more question, doing a blend from say a white to a blue - how is that handled?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:50 am
say your dragster is black

paint it black basecoat then clear it.

sand that down with 800

then do all your grapghics

clear it again

sand that down with 800

do any pinstriping that needs done

clear it again

and if you wish to get rid of pinstripe ridges in your clear

sand down one more time and clear it for the last time. dirt nib and polish.

when doing multiple colors laying tape on raw basecoat is never a good idea so use a mid coat to tape on.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:31 am
/\ /\ /\ /\!!!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:09 pm
You don't have to spray clear onto the base coat within the window time. Our company happens to do BC/CC which falls in the window time but thats because they are working to a production time schedule. When we recieve the sprayed cars we sand for a mechanical bond and paint our graphics with BC. Usually the next day or two days later it will be cleared, we've been doing it this way for years and we have PPG technicians who work with along side us.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:22 pm
i also know people that wait a few days before clearing basecoat. i also know of multiple jobs failing. it is good practice to use DBC500 at the end of the day and give it a light scuff before returning to the graphics. most PPG reps are "sales men" they will tell you whatever sells their product. a "window" serves a purpose and you should follow that purpose best you can. i dont think there is a company that will ever recomend letting base sit over 24 hours before clearing. and the fine print in that is @ 70 degrees. if its 100 degrees and that base sits 24 hours it will lose adheasion.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion