Devilbiss SRI Pro vs. Iwata LPH300?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:59 pm
Hi everyone....I've been lurking, but now I am hoping to get some specific opinions.

I hope you won't roll your eyes, as this is another "which gun" question, BUT very narrowed down. I searched and cannot find any opinions on these two guns in particular. Maybe because they don't quite compete in the same category.

I am painting a Harley. It will be my first project (I can hear the laughter!) I am 100% confident it will come out fine. In the future I may paint something as large as a tonneau cover but not larger (likely will never paint a car.)

My compressor is a Quincy 210...it puts out 4.5 acfm (actual cfm) at 100 psi. The tank is 30 gallons. I will not be buying a different compressor any time soon.

My two choices are the Devilbiss SRI Pro OR the Iwata LPH300. The SRI Pro uses much less air, but the Iwata is only about 7-8 cfm best I can tell (1.3 tip.) I'd love to buy American, but the Devilbiss is made in the U.K. I think, so it's a wash. The gun will be used for base and clear. I don't want to spend more than $300. For that price I can get the Iwata with one tip and cap but no cup (I can get a cup pretty cheaply), or the SRI Pro with two caps and a starter D-cups system.

So there it is. This will likely be my only base/clear gun for the next 10 years, and admittedly will not be used much. But I hate to buy junk. I've ruled out the Air Gunsa mostly due to questionable reviews (some great some bad.) I think the Finishline might need more air than I can provide. I looked at the Iwata W300 briefly (since they're about $200 shipped right now.) I've ruled that out (correct me if I'm wrong.)

Thank you in advance for any guidance!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:39 pm
I was looking into buying the devilbiss sri pro a month ago, but after doing a lot of research I have narrowed it down to the iwata lph101 w/ 1/4 tip as my clear coat only gun. I paint cars for a living and have a sata minijet and an iwata lph400. both are good guns but iwata's are hard to beat in build quality and the atomization of paints and esspecially clear coat. They lay down clear extremely well and it will be hard to find a better gun for clear coat. However they are not the best guns for laying down base. They will get the job done but there are much better guns for base coat. I'm a firm believe in separate guns for base and clear, but i understand you're on a budget. If you're mainly spraying solid colors then you could get a cheaper base gun like a Finex or devilbiss startingline because the atomization isn't nearly as important when spraying a solid color compared to a metallic. If you plan on spraying metallics then i would suggest having separate guns for sure. I would def get a 1.4 tip for clear. You could go as low as a 1.0 tip for paint but you may have to thin it down a little.

I think the lph300 may be a little big for painting motorcycles. It is basically the same gun as the iwata lph400 but with a smaller body. You should look into the lph101. It's a side feed gravity which is nice because you can rotate the cup around and it has 3 different cup options. Another thing with the iwata's is that they don't have a lot, if any, plastic/rubber seals so nothing will get worn down by the solvents over time.

I would keep an eye on ebay for some used spray guns in good condition. Hope this helps a little

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:12 pm
Thanks for your suggestions. For some reason I didn't get notified when you posted.

I ended up finding a really good deal on a Sata Minijet that had a tiny ding in the cup but was in otherwise new condition (in the box.)

I painted the base and the clear with it, and it came out pretty good. I did have some color sanding to do but overall I am pleased.

Return to Tools and Supplies