Homemade Paint Booth

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:35 pm
A fresh air system is always the best route. ISOs are dangerous and can cause serious lung problems.
That said, I use an organic cartridge respirator but I change the cartridges regularly because they are only good for about 8 hours of light exposure to ISOs.
The fact that you are not in a cloud of overspray (if your booth works correctly) definitely helps. I painted in an open garage before with the windows open and fans running but the cloud filled the garage and it stunk for a couple of days after. Nearly made myself sick which is why I built the booth.
The Plus is listed as an HVLP (I think) on Spray Gun World's site.
If you set the gun properly it should work fine for you. Read Brian's article on Atomization and follow it closely. It made all the difference for me when painting my car once I got the gun set properly.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:08 pm
Thanks for your help. That will get me a long way.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:21 pm
thanks bro for the reply on the pricing. if i am not able to find those fans cheap what other fans could i buy that wouldnt be so expensive

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:44 am
That booth looks great. I was thinking of using 3 or 4 cheap fans from Walmart and blowing filtered air in. I was thinking of placing them in a temporary wall with a shroud so the air gets forced through the filter. It would be a temporary set up I would take down once I finish painting the car. When I painted the engine compartment I just opened up all the windows and doors on a 3 car garage but I don't want to go that route when I paint the whole car.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:04 pm
ssbound wrote:thanks bro for the reply on the pricing. if i am not able to find those fans cheap what other fans could i buy that wouldnt be so expensive

Check with your local heating and cooling installer and I'll bet he will have them laying around.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:08 pm
69cuda340s wrote:That booth looks great. I was thinking of using 3 or 4 cheap fans from Walmart and blowing filtered air in. I was thinking of placing them in a temporary wall with a shroud so the air gets forced through the filter. It would be a temporary set up I would take down once I finish painting the car. When I painted the engine compartment I just opened up all the windows and doors on a 3 car garage but I don't want to go that route when I paint the whole car.

Thanks, its okay for a hobbyist like myself who lives in the country without any finicky neighbors close by. I definitely would like more and better lighting and plan to install some in the future.
I agree that painting a whole car requires some type of booth and overspray containment. The better the booth the happier and safer you will be.
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:16 pm
Nice setup... Im hoping to paint my engine bay sometime soon so have been looking around at what different people have done at home. Im looking at buying 2 or 3 16" 2700cfm thermo fans with filter box as intake fans and a couple of smaller ones at the exhaust side with some sort of over spray catchment. I'll be painting my car in several stages to make the job manageable for an amateur like myself.

One question I have on the airflow dynamics. Is the idea of airflow in a booth to catch overspray in the air and suck it into a draught that is heading low via the exhaust fans ?

If my engine bay and the test panels I do turn out nice I'll consider spraying the shell.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:32 pm
Basically yes, that is the idea.
The airflow should be calculated so as to move the "cloud" of over spray quickly out of the room. So quickly in fact that the "cloud" never really forms.
I sprayed in a 100k downdraft booth once and couldn't believe how fast the over spray went toward the floor.
Some of the pros here can give you more specific advice and as always I will defer to them. :D
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:42 pm
Here are some figures I copied from a spec page for a commercial booth supplier.
Notice the velocity for a side draft is figured at 100 ft/min. and the downdraft at 50 ft/min. Either way you look at it the air is moving right along howbeit en masse.

Paint Booth Airflow Calculations

Scenario #1 - Air moving from ceiling at back of booth to the exhaust filters at far end of booth.
Based on these assumptions:
Surface area (ft2) = 4.4m (wide) x 2.2 m (high) x 10.76 (m2/ft2)
= 102.4 ft2
Air velocity = 102.4 ft2 x 100 ft/min

= 10,240 ft3/min
Scenario #2: Air entering at ceiling and moving downward toward the filters immediately above the floor along the sides of the booth.
Based on these assumptions:
Surface area (ft2) = 6.6m (long) x 4.4m (wide) x 10.76 (m2/ft2)
= 312.5 ft2
Air velocity = 312.5 ft2 x 50 ft/min

= 15,625 ft3/min
If you want uniform air distribution throughout the booth you should size the air intake filters accordingly. If you make the filter section too small, you can expect turbulence in the booth and this will cause paint overspray to settle on the walls, ceiling, lamps, etc. In addition, turbulence lowers transfer efficiency.
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:34 pm
Sweet Booth I will have to post some pics of the one I'm working on. Still have to put door on it and ventilation. My shop is 36x50 with a quarter of it as a booth.
PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Supplies