Homemade Paint Booth

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:29 am
68',
A very nice booth!! And it's great that you did it all yourself 8)
But please fix that wiring! Those open splices (at the second fan)
are a hazard. I won't bring up codes, but (as a minimum) at least
ty-wrap the wires so they're not hanging. MB
Don't sweat it, Life's too short!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:17 am
mjb1032 wrote:68',
A very nice booth!! And it's great that you did it all yourself 8)
But please fix that wiring! Those open splices (at the second fan)
are a hazard. I won't bring up codes, but (as a minimum) at least
ty-wrap the wires so they're not hanging. MB

Not a problem that was just a temporary hook up to see how things worked. The final version will be done in romex and have a switch on the wall. The last thing I need is to burn down the garage and watch all the time and money I have invested go up in smoke.
That happened to a friend of mine who had alarm systems that woke him up at 3:00 am to tell him there was smoke in his garage. Lost all his tools, Corvette, 65 mustang just painted and a brand new stroker motor still sitting on the engine stand. Insurance company told him the cars weren't covered on his policy!
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:31 am
RamThis wrote:Are those 110 or 220 motors? Did you wire them in with a switch or just a plug? . . . One thing I wondered about was, I know that the 3M Filtrete filters would probably kill your CFM but would really bring in the cleanest air. Fiberglass filters are only really good for catching the big stuff. How well would electrostatic filters really work at higher air flow rates?

The motors are 110 and they are just temporarily wired with a plug in the picture to see how things worked.
The filters I have were from the inlet air side of a paint booth at a local college. They changed them out and I asked to have the old ones. It was my experience that the "big stuff" floating around in the air is what caused the major problems. Having filtered air entering the booth and creating a positive pressure will push anything floating over your fresh paint out of the booth before it has a chance (hopefully) of landing in your paint.
I did a test by turning on the fans and then blowing dust up off the flow with an air hose. The cloud rose about 18" off the flow before exiting the booth. After blowing off the rest of the floor I checked to see what was sitting on my car and there was just a very slight bit of fine dust on it. Mind you this was after deliberately stirring up as much dust as I could before sweeping and hosing down the floors. This should be a big improvement over painting in an open garage.
1968 Coronet R/T

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:14 am
This should be a big improvement over painting in an open garage.

That's an understatement... :)

How long did this booth take to build?

And before you take it apart, it would be cool to take some fine pictures
with the car inside (full side profile)...
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:26 pm
Han wrote:
How long did this booth take to build?

And before you take it apart, it would be cool to take some fine pictures
with the car inside (full side profile)...

It took longer to plan than to build. Once I started framing the wall with the filters in it until I hung the plastic was about 60 hours. This counts the time to run electric for the lights, insulate the walls, hang and finish the drywall, paint everything and hang the plastic. The only removable parts are the wall with the filters (which will probably stay up as long as I live here) and the plastic sheeting. Eventually I hope to finish sheet rocking the rest of the garage as well.
Good idea on the photos. I already have a guy wanting me to paint his 57 chevy but I don't know if I am ready for that yet.
1968 Coronet R/T

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:57 am
I already have a guy wanting me to paint his 57 chevy but I don't know if I am ready for that yet.

You're "ready" when you say you are...

How about adding more light fixtures to the walls?
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:22 am
sorry kinda newbie question

whats the intake fan for?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:00 am
I thought your car was done the last time I saw it. Are you repainting?

I made a booth out of my apartment garage a while back, I did all the priming in there, but had to stop when the people in the apartment above complained about the smell. Since then I moved into a house with a seperate garage, so I am going to finish the paint in the fall when it cools down a bit. (its been over a 100F for a while here, just starting to cool off again).

Here was my setup, it was in a 24x12 garage, the compressor was located next to it, with the air tap coming through the wall. I used a squirrel cage blower fan with dual filters to evacuate the garage, worked pretty well, but I really needed two of them. I had 4 4ft dual strip lights.

My new garage is 19x19, I drywalled the walls, I still have to do the ceiling. In addition to the old strip lights I added a dual 8ft light in the center. I like how you did the dual blower motors, I want to duplicate that, but I want to vent it up a stack so the exhaust come out about 15 ft in the air, that should keep the neigbors from complaining, but my neigbor 2 doors down paints cars in his garage, so I don't foresee any problems.

Dallas, TX

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:47 pm
Necessity is the mother of invention!!!!!

6t8 one of these days I need to come out and actually meet you and see your car and your new bad **** garage!!!! My truck should be out of the body shop next week so maybe I'll not be embarrassed to show up at the next local dak meet LOL.
WWW.DodgeTrucks.org Administrator
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L Auto
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L Auto
2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4.0L V6
My Pix

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:59 pm
19! You could not fit some of my cars in there lengthwise
PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Supplies