Oil cooler for cooling air

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:21 am
I have the recommended air system in place. Copper pipe, probably 25' to the first outlet, an 8' vertical run, and several drains. When the compressor is running near continuously, I still end up with a bit of water at the output end. Yes, I could use a larger compressor at some point. If I could get the air cooled before it gets into the tank maybe some of the water would remain in the tank.

What about using something like an automotive oil cooler to cool the compressed air? This could be installed between the compressor outlet and the tank. I think the cooler is rated for 250 PSI. The ID of the tubing is 1/2". My compressor uses a 3/8" copper pipe between the tank and compressor now so this oil cooler might flow enough air not to cause a restriction.

I would have to build a simple circuit that activates the fan when the compressor is on.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/15800/10002/-1

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:59 am
Something like this?

http://www.dune-buggy.com/webs/Off-Road ... essor.html

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:35 am
I have always wanted to do that but never did. If its tested to 250psi, I dont see why it wont work....................................

Another thing I would do is to have another tank that the air and moisture went into that would hold the water before it went into the main tank.
(Like an air thank from a big truck) I have also used the moisture drains from that same truck tank that has a cable that you pull to drain moisture.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:24 am
Jim and ODG, thank you both for your replies.

That link shows what I had in mind.

I think as long as the intercooler does not become a restriction to air flow, it may work well. The Derale 15800 has -8 AN fittings, which should be 1/2" ID. My compressor probably uses 3/8" ID tubing so the intercooler's flow may be adequate.

A while back someone else mentioned that they had a smaller tank that takes the compressed air before it is fed into the larger tank. Probably a good idea - the first tank gives the air a chance to expand and cool a little which should drop out some of the moisture and oil.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:05 am
,,"the first tank gives the air a chance to expand and cool"

It slows down and cools, that's when you get your moisture. Ill bet you money the little primary tank would work great! Just dont forget the moisture drain.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:34 am
you could also look at A/C condensors and if up north baseboard heaters. lots of options just watch the pipe rating.
A pipe with fins to absorbe heat and fan to move heated air away.

Then you could always have an after cooler to get rid of whatever is left.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:16 pm
PLohr wrote:I have the recommended air system in place. Copper pipe, probably 25' to the first outlet, an 8' vertical run, and several drains. When the compressor is running near continuously, I still end up with a bit of water at the output end. Yes, I could use a larger compressor at some point. If I could get the air cooled before it gets into the tank maybe some of the water would remain in the tank.

What about using something like an automotive oil cooler to cool the compressed air? This could be installed between the compressor outlet and the tank. I think the cooler is rated for 250 PSI. The ID of the tubing is 1/2". My compressor uses a 3/8" copper pipe between the tank and compressor now so this oil cooler might flow enough air not to cause a restriction.

I would have to build a simple circuit that activates the fan when the compressor is on.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/15800/10002/-1

Did you ever install this Derale cooler? How did it work out? I'm looking at adding a cooler to my 60gal/155psi compressor and this one seems like a good match, but I haven't been able to find any pressure rating information. Thanks!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:39 pm
Best thing to do is get an actual air compressor aftercooler if you want to go this route. This is one that can easily handle your compressor and is built to handle higher peak pressures than an oil cooler.
https://www.zoro.com/akg-air-cooled-aft ... lsrc=aw.ds

Our main compressor in our wood shop has had a similar model (just a little larger) which had an independent cooling fan we could switch on....what we found out after the first year of operations with it was that the fan didn't even need to be turned on...our entire piping system stays very dry.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:41 pm
Hey DarrelK,

Good point that making sure the cooler can handle the necessary PSI is important and who knows what the Derale is actually spec'd to since it isn't listed. But $200 is pretty pricy (nearly 50% of what the compressor cost). The B&M 70266 runs for about $105 and is tested to 200PSI which seems like it would work? As a bonus, I bet the B&M cools a lot better (that AKG is pretty small!).

Thanks!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:11 pm
I run the aftercooler setup like DarrelK showed. Never have any moisture problems. No fan, as they made to either not use one, or mount on the belt guard and use some air made by the fins of the pulley. My compressor pulley has angled fins like a regular fan, it don't move much air, but you can still feel some air move. Pipe going in get's pretty hot, pipe going out, stays pretty cool. Also have a water trap on the exit line that I can drain, depending how much the compressor runs.
Attachments
aftercooler .jpg
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies