Big Day for new tools!!! Compressor and Iwata's (yes plural

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:08 am
So...
I have had a 7hp (peak, over-rated) Husky compressor that puts out 11.8 cfm at 40 psi and 10.3 at 90 psi for about 8 yrs now. At the time it was all I could afford, and it has done a good job. Recently it has become a little worn and is having a tougher time keeping up with the tools and spray gun. So, today I bit the bullet and purchased a new (well used, but new to me) compressor that should be one heck of an upgrade. It is a 7.5 hp (true), 80 gallon, 2 stage compressor that is rated at 32.6 cfm (25 ACFM at 150 psi). This big boy should be able to keep up with anything I need it to. Just felt the need to tell someone about the compressor... I am really excited!

Now, if that didn't have me excited enough I also decided to continue my spending spree and purchased an Iwata 3 gun kit. It contains:
1 - LPH400-LV 1.3 tip with silver and orange aircap
1 - W400-LV 1.3 tip (supposed to be a great clear gun)
1 - LPH440-LV Primer gun with 1.6 tip
This kit comes with 2 aluminum cups, a pps adapter and a few pps cups, a regulator, a cleaning kit, a few other things, and a nice carrying case that holds all of it. The guns have only been used for one paintjob, and they look and spray like new. I don't think I did too bad paying $600 for the whole kit.

Now for a few questions:

1. As for the LPH400: The silver aircap is primarily for shooting clear and solid colors, and the orange cap is for shooting metallics... correct? I have read alot about the lph400 over the last few years, but I just wanted to clarify.
2. What psi are you guys shooting your metallic bases with the orange cap? What psi are you shooting your other bases with the silver cap?
3. What psi are you shooting your clear with the lph400 and the silver cap? I believe that most people bump up the psi to around 25 or so when shooting clear to help it atomize a little better... any other suggestions or does this sound about right?
4. As for the W400-LV: I heard this is a great clear gun that does a great job of atomizing, does anyone have any experience with this gun? The manual states that this gun should have 20 psi at the inlet, but I wonder if I should bump up the psi a little just like the lph400 to increase atomization when shooting high solid clears...? Any suggestions
5. Anyone use the LPH440 for their primer gun? I am excited to use such a nice gun to shoot primer (I should even have to final block sand my primer now :)

Sorry for all the questions, just excited and want to have as many tips as I can to help with the learning curve. Fire away with all of your wisdom!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:01 am
Congrats on the new tools. Always exciting to get high quality tools to play, ah-hum, I mean work with. :allgood:

I use the LPH400 silver cap for all bases and clears.
Fluid 3.5 turns out, fan 1/4 in from full open, PSI 22-24 for base, 26-28 clear and single stage.
Of course this is just a starting point and much depends on the speed you paint at.

Haven't used the W400 or the primer gun.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:37 pm
I own all three. Great deal you got.

I use the lph400 for clear and base coat. Silver cap for solid colors and clear. Orange cap for sparkles. I spray sparkles at about 15psi. Solids at 15-20psi. And clear coat at 25psi. Awesome gun.

W400 is a GREAT clear gun. I open it up to 30 psi. It gives a lot of overspray, but delivers a superior finish. Lph400 does fine so I only use it when it really counts. Like a $5,000 dollars finish that requires extra attention.

Lph440 is a primer gun, but 1.4 or 1.6 nozzle does not handle my primer (ever coat, feather fill, grey). I use it as a blending coat gun and plastic adhesion promoter gun. Basically clear products. You can dial down to pressure and use it to spray wax and grease remover in a even coat. Then wipe off.

I favor the 1.3 tips on both lph400 and w400 regardless of cap. 1.6 on the lph440.
In every case I open up the volume all the way and control it by hand feel. I max out the pattern width then dial it down until the pattern is wide but even. USE THE IWATA AIR REGULATOR.
Vynyard

Return to Tools and Supplies