Settin up a small garage paint setup.

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:24 pm
So I have decided to get into a little bit of painting. But first of all I need to set up my garage properly. And by that I mean air compressor, Air dryer system and sprayguns.

What I have so far is a Large air compressor, its an atlas copco compressor 10hp 2 sylinder with a 370liter tank. I know it will be more than sufficient for painting since the shop I bought it from used it for this. Its a big beast.
I have a Devilbiss Finishline 3 spray gun, probably best for priming and such, But I plan on buying another gun for bc\cc. Maybe a devilbiss 670 plus or similar.
But what Im really lacking is a good air drying system, and setting up the piping for the air compressor. I have an Idea and saw coronet 68 post a drawing of how to line up the system.

But what Air drying\desccicant to run is a real puzzle for me.

This is a very expensive setup I think but probably a good one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeVilbis ... _500wt_936

or this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DEVILBIS ... veQ5fTools

I struggle to find someone who delivers 3\4" copper piping here in norway so I will just have to se what I find for piping from the compressor to the filter, but I have a good 25 feet to run the line before entering the filter so hopefully it will be cooled alot before entering the filter, and with such a large compressor I guess it wont be on for the whole time. The compressor is rated at 990l min but don't remember the pressure. will mild steel piping do the trick if thats all I can find. I know copper is preferred, but hard to find. I find some 15mm wich is a bit smaller than 3\4" but very expensive.

anyone have any suggestions on air dryer system for a small garage setup, The biggst things I will be painting is probably a door or 2 or a fender.

Hoping to here from you guys.
Weekend car:1995 TT supra 6spd 422RWHP
Daily Driver: 2004 VW passat TDI 4 motion

Project:
Volvo 242 Turbo, The race brick :P
2.5 16v Turbo 530hp

Volvo 240 Turbo Ice car, still missing engine.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:24 pm
i wouldnt bother with all that for your set up to be honest mate.

steel piping i would avoid; steel rusts so will be galvanised; you may end up with reactions (most likely than not).
i would rather use normal rubber air hose. 15mm copper pipe; this would more than suffice and fittings will be cheaper too. if its only you working then 15mm is plenty. if you are soldering then buy the pre-soldered joints. other options are push fittings (get the ones for air not water) or compression fittings.

for the air i would buy a simple 3 stage filter set up.
http://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/product.php?tid=105&products_id=5094
this is a cheap but good filter. you can connect your mask to this too.

this should be plenty to sort your air out esp as i think your compressor is big enough not to power up too much so wont really produce as much moisture per paint job. still drain the comp before each job. if you go down the rubber hose route then just before your 3 stage filter i would add a cheaper water trap; this will prolong the life of the more expensive filters.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:14 pm
might wanna do a search on building a franzinator.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 9&t=537212

scroll down the page and theres a sketchup of one.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:03 pm
Thank you very much for your answer. Will a cheap filter like this be suffiecent, If so then very good, atleast I save money some where. but don't want to cheap out and spend alot of paint down the drain, then the filters are cheap compared :P
If steel pipe and galvanized pipe are bad, I will have to see if I can set up a 15mm Copper line just for painting. probably the beste solution.

thanks again.

Robert

Rafsen wrote:i wouldnt bother with all that for your set up to be honest mate.

steel piping i would avoid; steel rusts so will be galvanised; you may end up with reactions (most likely than not).
i would rather use normal rubber air hose. 15mm copper pipe; this would more than suffice and fittings will be cheaper too. if its only you working then 15mm is plenty. if you are soldering then buy the pre-soldered joints. other options are push fittings (get the ones for air not water) or compression fittings.

for the air i would buy a simple 3 stage filter set up.
http://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/product.php?tid=105&products_id=5094
this is a cheap but good filter. you can connect your mask to this too.

this should be plenty to sort your air out esp as i think your compressor is big enough not to power up too much so wont really produce as much moisture per paint job. still drain the comp before each job. if you go down the rubber hose route then just before your 3 stage filter i would add a cheaper water trap; this will prolong the life of the more expensive filters.

Project:
2.5 16v Turbo 530hp

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:11 am
just want to say it was shocking to hear the news in Norway mate, my thoughts and prayers are with your people.
:cry:

on the topic of painting...

with copper piping set up properly (angled with drain off point(s)), a 3 stage filter you would be good to go. thats pretty much what i have; before the copper i had the 3 stage with normal rubber air hose and it was fine (no moisture) but the 1st filter was collecting a lot of moisture; i copper piped it up and drain most of it off from there.

remember to put the filters at the end of your copper piping set up (i.e. in the booth). have a flexi section between comp and the copper pipe on the wall to absorb vibrations.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:32 am
Sounds like a good plan then. I will post some pictures when I get it set up. :P

As far as the Terror action in norway you are right, It really is sad. These things just don't happen in norway, atleast up until now. We seldom even have a murder and when a psycho goes wil and kill well over 70 people, your on the first page of every newspaper to say the least. The worst thing is that it was mostly youth he killed. most of them were between 14-25, that had their whole life ahead of them and now its gone.

Too bad there is no penalty for such a person, death penalty would be to easy.

Thank you very much for caring. I think a girl who survived said it best: If one man can show so much hate, think about how much love we can show together. thats a good thought.

Robert

Project:
2.5 16v Turbo 530hp

Return to Tools and Supplies