gas vs electric compressors

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:48 am
looking to run a blast cabinet and paint a car (TR6) in my garage so looking around for a compressor that puts out minimum 13 CFM. Should I only be looking at electric compressors or would a gas compressor (located outside the garage of course) work just as well for me. Reason for question is I don't have 220v in the garage and concerned about expense of paying an electrician to install a 220v line to the garage.

thx/Doug

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:50 pm
I would get the electric one and just run a 220 line outside to your garage. It can later be used for welders,heaters,any number of things.

And gas compressors run ALL the time. So you have to factor the cost of gas and upkeep of the engine in too. And since they run the compressor as long as they are on,you more than likely would run into moisture issues. I don't know that for a fact,since I've never used one,but I know any electric pump when run at a high duty cycle will create a lot of water in the tank...
My programs never have bugs,they just develop new features!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:00 pm
electric
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:10 pm
There are options for running a 220 line to your garage that aren't that expensive. As petriach said, you'll pay one way or another - electrical work, or paying for fuel. Also take into account that most gas compressors are noisier, and it's easier to build an enclosure if need be, for an electric compressor - no need to evacuate exhaust fumes.
Talk to an electrician about running an auxiliary service to the garage, so you'll have a 110 outlet as well as the 220 line. It may not be that much more to do that.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:24 pm
iffen ya get an electric compressor that meets that CFM, it will be big and you will more than likely have a dedicated spot in your garage for it. you will find many many uses for it and you wont have to wheel it out, hook up the air hose,check the gas and oil, fire it up, let it build up pressure, use it to, say, run a die grinder for 5 minutes, shut it off, and wheel it back in, be careful to not let anything lay against the hot exhaust, and on and on.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:45 pm
Gas engine compressors are good in the field where no electricity is available, and even then, we found it was more vesatile to run a generator for an electric compressor and other electric tools.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:38 pm
Electric. If you see a future in blasting get a 2 stage with way more cfm.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:10 am
The big advantage to me for electric is dry air. You can have a large tank, metal air line with water traps, and then an air dryer. With gas you don't even have much air tank space, so that hot wet air will go right in your blast cabinet.

It all seems a bit complicated, but when the hot compressed air hits the lower temperature of the atmosphere in your garage, that will condense some water out of the moisture that is in the hot air. It may not happen when the compressor is used sparingly, and the tank is drained, but if you use it long enough to heat it up, then you will have this problem. So its important to cool the air and get the moisture out.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:09 pm
One word, NEIGHBORS. Don't know what your situation is but having another noisy, draw-attention-to-me-while I paint device is not a great idea. Electric is more flexible for placement and you can't even here our main two stage shop compressor outside the building. Heck, in my neighborhood I think they'd outlaw lawnmowers if they could.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:54 pm
I glad I live in the country.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies