Advice on Kirker Paint

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:09 pm
Guys, we are starting to fix up a K5 Jimmy for my son. Just want some advice on the Kirker paint products. He has taken alot of the interior down to bare metal and we are looking at priming with the Kirker Enduro Prime Epoxy Primer, then spraying the interior with Al's Bed Liner. Exterior we are going to prime bare metal with the Kirker epoxy and then bondo the few places that need it and then start with the Kirker 2K Perfect Prime. What do you think are these the correct procucts...He is also looking at the Kirker base and clear coats to finish the job here in a few weeks....He is considering the Bright Cobalt Blue Metallic. I will try to get some pictures in the next day or 2. He is currently waiting on some tubing to finish his roll cage.

Flintcreek.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:37 pm
Their epoxy is a good product, haven't heard much against it. Even pros seem to like it. I haven't tried their Perfect Prime, because I didn't need a primer that thick. Heard some good things about it, like the build, and easy sanding.
I used Rapid Prime, which is a bit thinner. Sands very nicely.
I've sprayed several of their topcoats on a lot of practice panels. I found the Black Diamond basecoats easier to spray than Omni, and provide way better coverage. Their SS urethanes also cover very well.
However, cobalt blue is one of their candy bases, and I heard they don't cover quite as well as the other SS urethanes, or Black Diamond basecoats.
I also tried their EC300 Ultra Clear. Very easy to spray, and hard to run. My DeVilbiss Plus gun lays it down like glass.
As far as bargain brand urethanes, I've only sprayed Kirker, Omni, and one from E-Bay. Kirker and the one from E-Bay sprayed fine, both covered well. I have some Shopline I haven't sprayed yet.
I sprayed some PPG DBU, which IMO doesn't cover much better than Kirker, but it's much easier to lay down flat. I'm sure it lasts longer as well. But at more than 4 times the price of Kirker, that's to be expected.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:18 pm
I would let the epoxy cure for a day or two then scotchbrite. Re-seal with epoxy and go top coat...
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:13 am
i've used all of there products and all are top notch for there price point. one complaint, is the cheaper clear. very thin. great for small parts, not good for overalls in my opinion. there ec300 is great and as ed says, lays down great, hard to run, and very easy to polish even after sitting for a week. Good stuff all across the board.
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:16 pm
Thanks for the replies guys, been busy and have not been on in a couple of days. I guess we have settled on the Kirker primers...now if he goes with the Viper Red I am thinking we might go with the SS Urethane paint, if he goes with the cobalt blue metallic we will use the base/clear. What are your thoughts on this should we use the base clear on the Viper Red also? We are going to go ahead and order our primers in the next couple of days...then he will get all of the body work before he decides on the paint color. We may look at the ********** Clear I have read alot of good things about it here on the forum. I have a 95 Civic I am also going to have to paint shortly...and the Viper Red is a close match to the factory color, hopefully I can just stop at jambs. Not sure which one will be ready to paint first.

68fbstang

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:18 pm
the bright cobalt blue metallic can be used alone either as a ss or bc/cc with there ultra-loc. beautiful color i think. You will like it a lot. Peace.
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Return to Tools and Supplies