Air Compressors in Australia

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:36 pm
That is just a measure of the maximum current it is likely to draw. Household circuits (including shed/garage) are usually protected by 16 amp circuit breakers so your current unit is fine....the worst that can happen is that it'll keep tripping the breaker if you have too much running on the same circuit at the same time.

For 15 amp the 'correct' thing to do is have an electrician install a 15A socket where you intend to set up your compressor (probably $100-$200). 15A sockets are like standard 3 pin australian household socket with a larger earth pin so 15A plugs won't work in a standard socket. Commonly people just grind down the earth pin with an angle grinder or make up a 15A to 10A adapter lead.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:37 pm
bao93 wrote:Oh ****, could you explain that system a bit? I just did a direct google search and it didn't give me anything :S two man SAS system.

http://www.sassafety.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=37&cat=Supplied-Air+Systems

and the specific system is here:
http://www.sassafety.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=350&bc=no
Chris

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:51 pm
Oh alright, thanks for that, I have a 15 amp socket in the house somewhere that I can wire down to the garage.. Oh that system is quite expensive.. I might consider investing on a Royce air compressor and then join the two compressors together and then buy an air freed mask to complete my set up.

Thanks!

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:22 am
Check out petrol compressors, generally can get much higher HP motors to run bigger compressor pumps that flow way more cfm. Noisy and smelly but you just sit it outside and run a long hose.

A way of affording a good compressor I was looking into was buying a 3 phase compressor (cheap on ebay) and retrofitting a petrol motor on there. I think a 6.5hp motor would work ok. The issue would be setting up an idle control governor, however you could just use a simple throttle lever but this would likely run the motor a lot harder etc

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:27 am
The 100% correct way to install a 15A socket in your garage/shed is to run a dedicated 2.5mm circuit from your switchboard.
Having said that, if the circuit to your garage/shed is already 2.5mm cable and is protected by a 16A breaker you will be safe to add a 15A socket. If you have multiple things running on the circuit along with the compressor and you overload it the breaker will trip before any damage can be done to the wiring.

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:50 pm
I bought a McMillian 3hp 3 cylinder 50L tank 350 FAD compressor,

its my first compressor ive ever bought, runs on 15Amp Socket.
I have just started spraying primer and i find its more then enough for the backyarder,

Was getting a little worked when using the sander, but as with anything id do 20 min sanding, and let it rest for 10 mins,
Gave me time to go over what i had done, have a drink and some fresh air, and back into it.

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:30 pm
sorry for the thread dredge guys,

I've been PMing with Phillip about his setup but needed to post some photos of my quick and dirty configuration. He has made his purchases & needs to do some troubleshooting/fine tuning to get it all to work together.

T-piece to joint the two compressors together....agricultural to say the least!

it's a bit hard to see as I've got overspray on the wall reg but I've got it set at ~70psi
The pressure on the gun reg is about 60psi with the respirator flowing

With both compressors full at ~120psi I get 27-29psi at the gun reg

When both compressors kick in at ~90psi I get 27-28psi at the gun reg (the pressure at the wall reg is ~60-61psi whether the compressors are running or not)

This is by no means how I would recommend for anyone to set up their workshop (running flexible hose everywhere) but it works for me until I get my hard lines installed. I also have a few ideas about an affordable DIY air dryer setup that I want to try, because I can, but I expect it'll be hard to beat the good old coil of hose in a big bucket of iced water however that's a whole nother thread for another day :happy:
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies