dura blocks 7 for $45

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:45 am
hey all

I thought I should get your opinions on the following dura block kit

http://www.amazon.com/Trade-Associates- ... dura+block

my dad is heading to the USA for a few weeks and I thought it would be the prime time to get him to bring these back in his luggage, the cheapest I could find them would be $80 in aus,, (coming from USA) but in aus they sell for like $150 a kit

here are some pictures of the body work I will need to get flat after priming from bare metal.(not my scooters but I will be restoring the same one).. there are lots of difficult complex curves on these panels, I feel there will be a steep learning curve lol - ive watched dozens of youtube videos on blocking, and it seems like the flexi durablocks are the best choice

what do you guys recommend/think

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:34 pm
Yes get dura blocks I myself use them and im sure im speaking for a lot of other guys dura block is a good block to have and use

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:34 am
gee, they have come down in price a lot, when I was looking a buying them a few yrs ago the 7pce kit was well over $150, I just bought some no name blocks, they were cheap and I don't feel bad about cutting, and shaping them to suit my needs, don't forget about good old balsa wood either guys, cheap and can shape it to suit your needs very easily!!
krem

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:12 am
dura blocks are still around that price in aus, but only about $50 for 7 in the USA>

the balsa wood is a good idea, but I wonder how you cut it to shape and keep an even surface thats all...

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:29 am
you don't change the shape of the flat sanding surface, just make rounded edges for radioused swages and contours, cut smaller blocks for smaller areas where you cant get a normal block etc, I bought a length of triangle, 75mm x 10mm thick and 75mm x 20mm thick, the 10mm stuff is slightly flexible for low crowned panels like a large roof or door, 20mm is solid but still soft so it don't gouge out the filler or primer as you sand, comes in lengths upto 600mm long, if you wanted you could use a belt sander and put a slight curve on the block for reverse crowned panels.
I use the smaller triangle that I have cut into very small blocks for denibbing dust out prior to buffing, and just hand sized balsa blocks for my color sanding, works a treat and is cheap as chips!!
krem

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:59 pm
So does the durablock 7 piece kit not have everything needed for sanding (besides paper)?

I have an '85 Buick regal, so its pretty boxy, I'm hoping if I buy the durablock kit it will have everything I need.

If there another kit people reccommend?

Return to Tools and Supplies