Need help choosing a gun!

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:26 pm
no, the supernova is the LS400. Two different versions of that gun, one for base and another for clear (gold cap versus silver cap).

gotcha on the compressor, that's good if it is large...you want large...

I can't tell you which gun is 'best' for clear or for base. The guns you mentioned are all very good guns. "best" is impossible to state, there is no way to measure that...all you can get are opinions and for every guy you find that says gun 'a' is the best thing going I will find another guy who says sorry gun 'b' is the best.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:11 am
Out of the iwatas what is the know for spraying clear well. Also the w400lv can that also spry base to? Also the sata rp Carl Avery is that easly available? Is there it is cheaper in a magazine I got then the normal rp? Is the outside not as strong? Will the art work on the gun fade or peal after being cleaned with thinner over the years.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:12 am
Yes the w400 is either base or clear. They are all known as good clear guns, if Iwata says the particular cap setup you are looking at is for clear.

I can get that Carl Avery gun, yes. It is cheaper. I would be guessing about why. For some reason just not a good seller. Maybe guys don't want to show up to work with a fancy gun. Or maybe it's hard to keep clean. Not sure...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:59 pm
Thanks for all this info. I have made up my mind on the sata 4000 rp. Not sure what tip to get though.I also want to get a iwata but not sure on what model is for what so please she's some light. I know this info will help people that are in my position down the line.
What's the difference between

w400lv-
Lph400lvb-
Lph400lvx-
Lph400lv-
Supernova-ls400
Supernova-ls400h

Is there one that is good for base and clear without changing caps? Is there one that is superior in clear? Which model is most sought after.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:07 pm
Take a look at this page:

http://anestiwata.com/product-category/ ... pray-guns/

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:12 am
Something else to consider ... You seem to have quite a few questions about the products. I think that of the 3 companies (Sata, Iwata, DeVilbiss) that DeVilbiss has probably the best customer service if you need them or have any questions after you make your purchase.
I think Iwata (personally) has too soft of a spray, and needs to be run at pressures above EPA/SCAQMD approved to get proper atomization. This makes it slow and the higher pressure causes a bit more overspray.
Sata and DeVilbiss are both excellent, and will let you go faster in a production environment.
For the money, the DeVilbiss offering is probably the best value right now. The Pro and ProLite guns are both very good at laying down base and clear, with the appropriate tips and needles. And I think they handle cleanup with the PPG Envirobase a little bit better than the competition.
My $0.02 worth.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:27 pm
Hey guys! Is the sata 4000 rp 1.3 tip the same speed as my finishline 3 1.5 tip? Because my finishline came with 1.3 1.5 and a 1.8 and I like to use the 1.5 because with the 1.3 not enough fluid comes out so it sprays dry or the fan doesn't open as wide.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:45 pm
Hey guys, I still have not bought a new gun. I know I know I am very picky. I have definitely made up my mind on a sata. I am not sure if I should get one gun for both clear and paint or I should get one gun for paint and one for clear. What are the advantages? If I only choose to get one is the rp better or hvlp for both bc/cc? If I choose to get two should I get one rp one hvlp? How noticeable is the difference in the way the rp sprays clear?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:52 am
Ballerbrian
I'm not a professional painter, so take this with a grain of salt. I have a Sata 3000 RP 1.3, a 4000 RP 1.3, a 4000 RP 1.4, and
an Iwata LPH 400 1.4.. I typically use my 3000 RP for base coat, and the 4000RP 1.4 for clear on the big jobs, and the Iwata for smaller jobs such as motorcycle parts. The Iwata is a bit "slower" than the Sata, and I prefer to run the Iwata inlet pressure about 10 psi over recommended. I have found that having a base coat gun and a clear gun makes an easier transition in the booth, from the base coat to the clear, and I don't have use a gun that is a compromise between being a good base and a good clear gun. Hopefully one of the pros will weigh in on this for you..

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:30 am
I Am a hobbiest but I really like the iwata w400 lv2 with 1.4 tip non lv version. It will spray any paint well and at 35 psi lays clear perfect just has some over spray but in a booth it won't matter. It is an rp type gun that meets hvlp transfer rate and it is plenty fast. They are also a around 240 on eBay new.
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies