Evolution, Devilbiss Starting line or other

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:52 pm
Looks like a lot of options actually ~ $100- $150 range. I am just starting and need to do a small panel and the door jams. So a small gun maybe in order? What HVLP guns do you guys recommend? I had purchased a central pneumatic 20oz 1.4 HVLP but thinking maybe I should have got a better gun.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:48 pm
If you are not concerned about overspray, this gun is really not bad at all for the price:

http://www.autobody101.com/store/spray- ... ional-gun/

It's a conventional high-pressure (not HVLP) - so it will atomize well, it is not an air hog and it's well made. The only downside is you will need good ventilation because it will put a lot of overspray in the air.

I don't carry the DeVilbiss Starting Line guns, and as much as I love DeVilbiss..there's a reason I don't carry them...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:29 am
When I started spraying I bought the startingline kit. A word of advice, save your money and get a better gun. The only gun worthwhile in that kit is the touch up gun. The full size gun has a tiny fan maybe 6 inches and it doesnt put down the material all that good. I sold my kit less than a month after I got it. That harbor freight gun you got is better. I have used it as a workhorse but now its retired to my better guns. Use the money you were gonna put towards the kit to a better gun like the flg4 if your trying to keep it cheap.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:59 pm
Ah good inputs thank you. I am looking to go HVLP. I will look at the DB-flg4 looks very reasonable compared to the two other big names.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:28 am
As I mentioned in another thread, the FLG4 is a pretty good gun for the money. You get a variety of tips, and it's waterborne compatible. The atomization quality isn't quite on the level of the Teknas, but it's a significant step above the Starting Line guns. Plus, the kits are availabe for less than $200.

Return to Tools and Supplies