1.3 or 1.4 and viscosity genralizations

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:32 pm
OK looking at guns and accessories

If I want to apply Base's and Clear's AND had to pick either a 1.3 or 1.4 to do both which would be better choice and why?

Assuming 1.3 better for clears (a bit thinner) and 1.4 better for bases (a bit thicker) is this a correct assumption?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:44 pm
Best bet is to go with the recommended tip size in the product tech sheet for the product you are applying.

If I had to make a broad generalization, a 1.4 tip seems to be a common choice. A larger tip will (obviously) allow more material per second to pass through the nozzle than a smaller tip will, given the same product being sprayed. This also speaks to other variables, like how fast the painter is comfortable moving the gun, and how well the product atomizes given the tip size.

Some guns come with multiple tips so you can use the one best suited for the job ;-)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:03 am
Chris is right,,,go with the 1.4.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:21 am
I agree with Chris ... look to the charts put out by the paint companies. They test most of the major spray guns with their paints under common conditions, and recommend a needle/tip based on HVLP or compliant cap and the specific paint properties.
Here's a link to some of the paint company charts:

http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/spray-gun-setup.aspx

Return to Tools and Supplies