Turbine hvlp question for DarrelK

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:58 pm
Hi Darrel

I am looking at purchasing a turbine hvlp system from turbine products, one if their sprayfine systems. A couple of questions that I have are as follows: would you recommend their 3 stage or their 4 stage turbine? When I spoke to the owner of turbine products he told me that I waste more paint with a 4 stage and that it would produce much more overspray, orange peel and heat. Also what tip sizes would you recommend for single stage urethane, metallic and solid base and clear, and high build primer. What hose length? I will be painting around 5 cars a year or more. My goal is to get a system that would produce the least amount of orange peel with the least amount of reduction, I know that turbines require more reduction to compensate for the heat. The owner also mentioned that if I do get a very long hose that the psi would drop. I would be getting the gravity fed gun of course. So I am just wondering what your professional opinion is because you have the most experiance with these paint systems.

Thanks for looking :happy:
Last edited by Apme123 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:02 pm
Okay, I've said this many times and still feel the same about it... don't get hung up on the number of turbine stages needed. I shot with a 2 stage unit for many, many years. A 3 stage will definitely do the job. I personally shoot with a 4 stage now however I have been using turbine guns now for more than 30 years so I know how to do some tweaks with hose length, cooling, etc., to fine tune my guns. You should discuss tip sizes with your turbine system retailer as they are going to give you the sizing based on their turbine systems. Think of hose length as, "What is the max length of hose I need to get around the car and ALSO get the turbine itself in a "clean air" area for intake. If your turbine supplier is telling you that you will experience a, let's say 2 to 3 psi drop, in the hose length you mention, simple thing to do is move on up to the 4 stage. Again don't let the "heat" thing bug you about increased stages. Turbine systems are like power adders are to engines. You can quite simply lower the ambient temp. right at the turbine with ice packs or what some guys are doing is the coiled hose in an ice chest thing. Just remember, no matter which system you choose it is going to take some adjusting to get it the way you want it. Once dialed in you should be able to get very consistent results.
Oh, and I don't recommend turbine guns for primer. It is not that they can't spray high builds it just can be problematic with the "heat" thing. Slick Sand for instance can turn a nice gun into a paperweight quite quickly as the heat of the gun actually kicks it off right in the fluid passages. Do yourself a favor, just buy a cheap separate primer gun.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:13 pm
Thanks Darrel, I really appreciate your input. My last question is do you have any idea how the sprayfine gun compares to a fuji, the 3m accuspray 10g or even the Apollo atomizer in terms of finish quality?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:56 am
Really I think it is just "splitting hairs" between those vendors when it comes to equipment now. Sprayfine is a good responsive vendor with excellent advice and properly set-up systems. I have one of his breathing systems myself. I don't have any problems with anyone you mention there, I just think you'll get more tech. support from Sprayfine.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:20 pm
Thank you once again, I'll go with a sprayfine 4 stage 50ft of hose and their gravity gun.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:00 pm
FWIW, I don't have any problems using 100' of hose with my 2 stage. The gun that came with my unit is very similar in design to the Sprayfine gun. It sprays very nicely, and it's one of the guns Darrel recommended.

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:52 am
DarrelK wrote:Really I think it is just "splitting hairs" between those vendors when it comes to equipment now. Sprayfine is a good responsive vendor with excellent advice and properly set-up systems. I have one of his breathing systems myself. I don't have any problems with anyone you mention there, I just think you'll get more tech. support from Sprayfine.

One of the main reasons I went with sprayfine as well is summed up by Darrel. Only being new to the turbine spraying world the best people I have found for advice has been Phil from sprayfine and DarrelK through this forum. Advice from both has been much appreciated. :goodjob: :goodjob:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:42 am
Yeah, you guys really need some tech. with most of these systems when you are starting out. A voice on the other end of the phone or email conversaton with the vendor about that particular system is important. There is always that habit we get into when dealing with the internet of trying to buy something wholesale, direct from the manufacturer, etc. With a lot of items that is no problem, however this is a "learning curve" with turbines. Usually a good vendor has personally experienced the problems you are having with your system and the type of materials you are trying to spray. I've shot everything from glues, drywall mud, structural epoxy resin, and on and on with turbine systems. I was lucky enough to be around during the early days of these systems so I've had a longggggg.... time to figure most of this out for myself. A good vendor with tech. support makes this a much easier process for you guys.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:26 pm
Darrel,
Since you seem to be the HVLP guru, I thought I would reach out. I am looking at a sprayfine stage 4 system with a gravity fed gun
I spoke to Phil and he suggested the siphon cup what do you suggest? I prefer the gravity system. I have airbrushed and have shot panels with my hvlp/60 gal snap on.
I want to paint sets of personal wheels, my Fuso cabover cab and I have several personal cars I want to paint, if I can do a good job..
Another thread I read is a fuji mini mite 4 a sicmo gun and graco hose. Also considering a full fuji Q4 system with gravity gun.
I will be using single stage, base and clearcoat applications. Thoughts?

TIA,
Kevin
Last edited by konakid67 on Wed May 28, 2014 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:17 pm
Hi Kevin,
Yeah, I like your first thoughts there for overall good shooting with just about anything we use auto paint wise. A 4 stage turbine with gravity gun is the way I would go. When it comes down to tweeking turbine systems the gravity type cup aids the fluid feed which is turbine guns weakest area. These newer, more powerful turbine motors have plenty of output to match up to that feed. You'll be able to get plenty of material on the surface while still reducing material usage because of less bounceback. Again Sprayfine is a good price point system. The other systems mentioned are okay as well, just remember you probably won't have much tech. support with them.
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies